Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For

Options
  • 03-06-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

faoi choinne
    i gcomhair
    le haghaidh

also
    ar son

What is each on specifically used for?
    Are these dialectal variants of the same thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

There are subtle differences. If you have the Ó Dónaill dictionary you should be able to find examples of them in context.
    Is there anything specifically you're wondering about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I'm looking for those subtle differences, I usually translate them as "for the purpose of" and
    ar son as "on behalf of"

Well with 'ar son' , which I think is used in all the dialects, definitely Conamara anyway, it means 'for' in the sense of 'for the sake of': as in 'ar son na cúise' (for the cause)

le haghaidh and faoi choinne are used in same contexts as each other. But I myself have yet to hear faoi choinne used in Conamara Irish (but that's just in my experience- Nuggles would be able to tell you for sure if they're around these parts). But definitely le haghaidh is used all the time in Conamara.
    e.g. le haghaidh dinnéir (meeting up for dinner for example).

faoi choinne is used in Donegal, definitely, but you will hear faoi as 'fá' in this context. Just like faoi is 'fé' in Munster Irish.

For 'on behalf of' I would use 'thar ceann' rather than 'ar son'. For e.g. 'urlabhraí atá ann thar ceann an Fhorais' (on behalf of the Foras)

Then for 'i gcomhair' I think of in the context of say 'refreshments for the night': 'soláistí i gcomhair na hoíche', say if you were camping or whatever.

But le haghaidh would be used probably as well for that, as it has similar meaning.

Just develop your own vocabulary bank from what you like the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

For is the most confusing word in Gaeilge. I made a post about it on here a year or two ago. Someone posted a link that was really helpful. Let me see if I can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Here it is: http://gaeilge.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_translate_the_English_preposition_%22for%22_into_Irish

Pog It posted it for me the first time. So credit to him :)

Her. I'm female :) sorry just wanted to clarify that!!

Advertisement