Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E marked tyres

Options
  • 03-06-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭

This tread may be in the wrong place, but i'm wondering if anyone has any advice on returning non E marked tyres? I went to NCT my car yesterday and it failed because the two front tyres have no E mark on them. They were only replaced at the end of last July, and the car has barely been driven for the last 6 months due to a broken wrist, so there is very little wear on them.

Having researched a bit, i found that its been illegal to sell or fit non E marked tyres since 2007, but the garage is claiming ignorance and say that because the NCT only changed their regulations in April of this year that its basically my problem.

I've read the threads on Boards regarding the change in NCT regulations but i've not been able to find out whether anyone has had any luck with similar problems??? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I had the exact same problem as you a month ago, I bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s in December 2008 for €150 a piece and discovered that 2 didn't have E Marks when I went for the NCT. I went back to the retailer and he was reasonably helpful in the end -he tried to flog me 2 new tyres at "half price" but I was having none of that. He agreed to stick on 2 new tyres with E numbers I went down did the NCT retest and he put my old Eagle F1s back on. Your man in the NCT only looked at the 2 non E marked tyres that previously failed so I could have gotten away with swapping the back and front ones around but it's not really worth chancing that.

I think it's been illegal to sell non E marked tyres in Ireland since July '97 - have a look here - http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=e-marking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

SGKM wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem as you a month ago, I bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s in December 2008 for €150 a piece and discovered that 2 didn't have E Marks when I went for the NCT. I went back to the retailer and he was reasonably helpful in the end -he tried to flog me 2 new tyres at "half price" but I was having none of that. He agreed to stick on 2 new tyres with E numbers I went down did the NCT retest and he put my old Eagle F1s back on. Your man in the NCT only looked at the 2 non E marked tyres that previously failed so I could have gotten away with swapping the back and front ones around but it's not really worth chancing that.

I think it's been illegal to sell non E marked tyres in Ireland since July '97 - have a look here - http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=e-marking

Lol I may be forced to try that!!

I've since been on to the National Consumer Agency, and i've been advised that as they were unsuitable for the purpose intended i should be able to get satisfaction under the Sale of Goods Act. She also told me that even though they are illegal, and have been for some time, there's basically nothing i can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Got a call today from the garage, they're replacing the tyres FOC!!

Advertisement