Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner advice

Options
  • 03-06-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a Garmin Forerunner but I haven't a clue which one do go for.

Basically what I want is one that
    • maps your distance
    • maps your km or miles per hour
    • displays the speed you are running at
    • is relatively easy to use
    • can upload data into some kind of program
    • one with a rechargeable battery
    • one that could also be used in cycling
    • calorie count would also be helpful
    • heart rate monitor also (but not essential)
    There are so many of them with so many different views.

I would just like one that does the above and if anyone can recommend one, where is the best place to buy? I'd presume amazon?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• maps your distance
    • maps your km or miles per hour
    • displays the speed you are running at
    • is relatively easy to use
    • can upload data into some kind of program
    • one with a rechargeable battery
    • one that could also be used in cycling
    • heart rate monitor also (but not essential)

The 305 will do all of that.
    • calorie count would also be helpful
    Not sure about calorie counts but I think it will work this out, if you are using the HRM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 skater1

I have the Garmin FR60, and find it great. Main difference with the likes of 310, 405 etc is that it works on a foot pod rather than GPS, so afterwards when you load all the data in to Garmin Connect or other sites, it wont show your route on the map. However I've tested the foot pod a few times and its definitely accurate.
    Its also cheaper and smaller than the 310 on my small (female) wrist... may not be an issue for you though.
    Depends what you are looking for but they all provide feedback on pace, speed, distance, heart rate, calories, time etc that you mentioned.

Heres a link to some excellent reviews:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/01/product-reviews.html

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

RayCun wrote: »
    The 305 will do all of that.

Not sure about calorie counts but I think it will work this out, if you are using the HRM

Brilliant. Thanks.

£140 on amazon, €180 on Pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Any of the GPS based Forerunners will do that.
    205, 305, 405, 310xt, 110 (doesn't display current - displays lap/average pace)

If you want to know the difference between the models, search this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

skater1 wrote: »
    I have the Garmin FR60, and find it great. Main difference with the likes of 310, 405 etc is that it works on a foot pod rather than GPS, so afterwards when you load all the data in to Garmin Connect or other sites, it wont show your route on the map. However I've tested the foot pod a few times and its definitely accurate.
    Its also cheaper and smaller than the 310 on my small (female) wrist... may not be an issue for you though.
    Depends what you are looking for but they all provide feedback on pace, speed, distance, heart rate, calories, time etc that you mentioned.

Heres a link to some excellent reviews:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/01/product-reviews.html

Hi Skater1

Can you give me a few tips how you got your footpod so accurate, I'm having trouble trying to calibrate mine,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 skater1

Uh oh, perhaps Ive just been lucky!
    I mapped out a couple of half miles (on a very very detailed map) and tested it a couple of times. As it turned out the initial calibration was pretty much spot on. However I also managed to test it by running with a Garmin 310 (ie GPS) at the same time to be sure. So if you know anyone who has a GPS watch perhaps you could borrow it?
    I was skeptical about the footpods in the first place as I thought the length of strides etc would confuse it, but it seems the watch is more technically proficient than I am! Sorry I cant be more help :)

Advertisement