Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Months notice and Productivity

Options
  • 03-06-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a quick question/personal issue, and some outside opinions would be fantastic.

What expectation is placed on an employee to be productive after they have been given their month's notice?

I'm sat here and I don't know whether I'm expected to work or go slow or not work at all... Many people seem to be surprised that I'm still coming in - but I'm just not sure what to do?
    Surely you can't just take off...

I guess ye can tell it was very very unexpected!

What have other people done in this situation?

On a side note, grrr for companies using the recession as an excuse to reduce headcounts!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Depends on how critical your position is/was.. if you've got internet access, stay there and job hunt i guess.

I'd talk to your HR dept. about taking personal time etc.. milk it for everything you can get. And dont forget to bring all your stuff with you on your last day.

not to sound like a scumbag or anything, but my last day i took everything that wasnt nailed down, as did everyone else. being laid off sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You might need a reference from them, so personally I wouldn't take the piss; but obviously make the most of it and look at your options and so on.

Bit crap that they didn't let you finish immediately and just pay you for the notice period. Did they not talk about handing over work etc? Sounds badly organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Job hunt and all but do enough work to make it look like you're working, don't just take the p*ss. It'll look good to the employer if you're still making an effort and doing your job and you'll likely get a good reference out of it. Wouldn't recommend just not going in, or doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

use the time. A reasonable employer wont mind going off to register with agencies etc. if you feel the need to stick it to the man, take an extra 15min for lunch:D
    its not worth acting the bollox.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think that you should work as normal , if not better than usual. If you are going to be unemployed, at least demonstrate that you are re-employable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Bearing in mind any future employer will most likely want a reference from your current boss so you don't want their lasting memory of you to be a slacker...that said, if you have interviews or need extra time off to try to get another job or speak to career guidance then you should speak to your boss and they should be as accommodation as possible.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys, OP here, thanks for all the responses. I know that ye're right. I'm just going to get on with it and be as upbeat and useful as I can, just to show them what they're going to have to do without :/ And I know its not my team's fault and that they'll have more work to do...

Now that I've had a little time to internalise what happened I think my worries have moved from the short term to the long term.

Right now it's kind of exciting, but I'm scared s***less to step out of my comfort zone. It could be a great adventure but I still feel like I'm being booted out into the cold.

Advertisement