Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sigma 10-20mm plus ND Grad filter

• 03-06-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Is anyone using an ND Grad Filter with their Sigma 10-20mm? I'm looking to pick one up as my landscape shots are usually dissappointing when the sky is any way bringht.

I'm only concerned about the filter ring coming into the shot at the 10mm end. Comments/suggestions would be very welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Maybe a cokin style one would be better, you can hold it in front of the lens if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

rowanh wrote: »
    Maybe a cokin style one would be better, you can hold it in front of the lens if needs be.

Yeah cokin have a wide angle holder, depending on what the filter size is on your sigma it might work out, look for series P cokin holders. I've used mine on a 20mm FF. Assuming that your body is a crop frame the 10->20 is about the FF equivalent of 15->30 or so, dunno whether you'd cop some vignetting or not. Someone else has doubtless tried this at some point.

The advantage of a Cokin or Lee style ND grad is that you can slide it up and down in the holder, changing where the transition is in the frame.

-edit- Here's someone who's used the wide angle holder with no problems. DPReview forums ...
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=25863904

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

There is very slight vignetting at 10 and 11mm when using a a cokin P type filter. It's very slight and disappears at 12mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Ihave the sigma, and its a nightmare on the 10mm for filters, I have the P series holder and many filters, I simply gave up using them and if I want the sky I bracket and blend... its so much easier for me to do this, but you need a tripod most times..

Ballyman wrote: »
    There is very slight vignetting at 10 and 11mm when using a a cokin P type filter. It's very slight and disappears at 12mm.

The normal P holder, or the wide angle one ? The wideangle one only has one filter slot, the normal P holder has 3.

• Advertisement

The normal P. The wide angle one is an A is it not?

The normal P. The wide angle one is an A is it not?

nope, there's a wideangle P adapter.
    http://www.cokin.fr/ico6-WIDE-ANGLE-HOLDER.html

Only one filter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Thanks for getting back to me on this lads.

@Ballyman - Any chance you could post an example so i can see for myself how intrustive the vinegetting is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

i just got some myself, Wide Angle adapter (you can only slot one filter) & P serie filters
    Only got a chance to test it once, but i haven t noticed any vignetting with the sigma 10-20 on a d90

Peace wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me on this lads.

@Ballyman - Any chance you could post an example so i can see for myself how intrustive the vinegetting is please?
    I'm away from home at the moment. I'll have a look over the weekend and see if I can find anything with the vignette.

• Advertisement
Advertisement