Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent intermittent start problem (diagnosed as crank pos sensor)

Options
  • 03-06-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭

98 Accent 1.3, car turns over fine but just won't start sometimes. Don't even know if these havve an immobiliser.
    I know this could be anything but is there any common fault on these that would cause this. the car never stalls or anything, just sometimes it starts perfectly and other times it wont start at all.

Comments

Coincidentally I drove to work in the ole lads 99 1.3 today, fine little bus it must be said. They aren't immobilised from the factory :)

May be fuel filter, depending on how long it stands the filter may take longer to prime if it's crudey. Only a clutch at straws suggestion though. They are not known any common ignition or fuel issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, friends mechanic says the crankshaft position sensor is gone. would this cause the symptoms above?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ok, friends mechanic says the crankshaft position sensor is gone. would this cause the symptoms above?

It would but that wouldn't be intermittent I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Faulty crank sensor could do it. I remember when I had a wrx impreza, after changing the oil I used to disconnect the sensor and turn it over to get the oil around before it started. Removing the sensor would stop it from starting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

colm_mcm wrote: »

As far as I remember on the accents the crankshaft sensor just packs up and you get no spark.Ive never seen one with an intermittent fault.

Another problem the accents used to give was the pick up around the ignition barrel for the immobiliser.

Other than that I cant think of anything else that used to go on them--that older model is one of the most reliable cars around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The symptoms do fit with crank position sensor. did the tech just come to that conclusion or was it ran on diagnostics?

There wont be any spark if its crank position, whereas if its fuel pump/filter related their will be spark. have a look at the plugs after cranking it f you in anyway capable of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Had one of these but issue was transponder on a 00 model. A well known ecu memory problem caused it. Perhaps the ecu needs a reboot to 'reset'? Even so I'd put money on the immobiliser as I know many owners with similar issues.

If the key icon flashes on the dash, take take the key out flip it over so the other side faces you and see that the key icon stays on in the warning light 'mar' mode. This will confirm the error with the memory

Forgot to mention it's eeprom memory not replacable as it's built into the ecu...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Changed a few of these crank position sensors, so Id go with that. Would probably throw up an OBD fault code relating to phase issues.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

AzureAuto wrote: »
    Changed a few of these crank position sensors, so Id go with that.

Yeah but you probably changed them with a "no spark" issue.Thats the only reason we ever changed them.

Advertisement