Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in Landscape Gardening?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm looking to get into garden/ landscape design and i am looking to see what is the best way to go about it.

i have always loved gardening and designing, and had looked at many courses when finished school. But i decided to get into architecture, so i am a qualified architectural technician and have been working in this role for the past 7 years.

anyway, my job will be finishing up unfortunately this October when my current contract ends, so this is were i got thinking about a change in direction.

i'm looking at a part-time course in either horticulture or landscape design and obviously would like to get the best qualification i can, weather it be get to a certificate level and then going on from there or getting onto a longer diploma/ degree course.

i'd love to hear how people working successfully in this area went about getting there and if they have any advice on the best, most direct way the do it.

i would obviously have experience in working with landscape design on construction projects and alot of experience in the 'construction' side of things. i'll list my qualifications if it helps so you know where i'm coming from and the advise the best way forward :)

so i currently have:
    HND in Architectural Technology
    Diploma in Site management (construction industry federation)
    certificate in C&D waste management (fetac)
    managing health and safety in construction (CIF CPD card)

Sorry for the long winded post!!!
    any advise will be much appreciated,
    thanks in advance.................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I was at Bloom yesterday and IT Blanchardstown had a stand there, I didn't pay attention to the others but usually there are a few colleges with stands promoting their courses.

So Bloom might be worth a visit because you could talk to them direct and they could probably give you great free advice.

Since you have the design background I would suggest you need the plant knowledge to match it. Research courses very well as it can be important in the long run to pick the right one for you.

Best of luck.

Advertisement