Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling Emotions.

Options
  • 03-06-2010 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

How do you control your emotions? how do you become free from stress, anxiety and anger and all them bad feelings.

For me i think its just practice but still working on it :)

I recently came home from a trip and was queuing at the checkin when some guy walked passed 20+ people and checked in! those of us who notest im sure felt angry but nobody said anything.
    I felt real angry but soon turned that into pity, for him .

How do buddha's here deal with them emotions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭RedXIV

not a buddest but I tend to laugh at everything that should annoy me, makes me happier in the long run :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

Watch them rise, look at them with equanimity and without grasping onto them or following that stream of consciousness. They will dissolve back into the nature of your mind, which is from where they sprang and hey presto, back to your good natured self.
    Sounds easy lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

pkr_ennis wrote: »
    Watch them rise, look at them with equanimity and without grasping onto them or following that stream of consciousness. They will dissolve back into the nature of your mind, which is from where they sprang and hey presto, back to your good natured self.
    Sounds easy lol.

Thanks, Sounds nice an Easy :pac:

I have just been reading about it on the net. and found this question / answer type thing .

Question is - You say that it isn’t other people that create our suffering but our reactions to their actions that creates it. So how can we become better reactors?

Answer is - By controlling our mind and not following it’s negative reactions.

Thanks everybody:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I get very frustrated in queues sometimes. It can be funny or stupid when you look back at it but in the moment its awfully compelling. How can some thing so superfluous seem so painful (or desirable etc) in the moment? The following is my take on how to work with it based on my understanding of what my teacher has said.

Each rising emotion is momentary and changing. It appears but isn't solidly existing as some fixed entity. It arises due to causes and conditions. The causes are habitual patterns of perception. The conditions are the coming together of interdependent circumstances.

If you can see appearances and thoughts and emotions as being a little dream-like and illusory, then they will not appear to be so powerful or un-changeable. Meditation shows how an endless stream of rising thoughts flow in the mind; yet there is spacious awareness throughout and beyond these risings. We make all kinds of notions and attach importance and feelings to them. Meditation begins to release the strong grasping onto the risings revealing the present awareness that sees the illusory nature of the risings. With regular meditation practices, this quality of spacious awareness permeates our daily activities and we can apply it in situations.

It is said that if you let go of the object of the emotion and just focus with spacious awareness on the feeling itself, it just dissolves. So, a negative state of mind can be transformed in an instant if we can step out of the momentary grasping at the object. The emotion is ours; the grasping is ours; even the perceived object is a story we generate based on some information appearing to our senses. So its completely ours to transform.

Because we take the situation as very solid and real, we generate a very solid and real emotional response and feel powerless to overcome it. In truth, the appearances and the emotions do not have the power we have decided to attribute to them. They can be transformed. Thinking they are solid, things appear powerful. Seeing they are illusory, they become weakened.

When a negative situation and emotion arises, even if its too intense to let go of grasping, you can still transform it through strong heartfelt aspiration and resolution: Even though I couldn't work with this now, may I be able to transform it in future. Slowly, these aspirations ripen into your being able to deal with it better in the future. According to Mahayana, you also can wish that through your suffering this way, may others be freed from similar suffering.

I understand that it is important not to get disheartened, apathetic or indifferent when its difficult to deal with situations in a good way. You need to bring effort and intention to transform. But also bring humour that you are where you are and that you have things to work on. If there was nothing that was difficult to deal with, we'd be enlightened in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

bou wrote: »
    I get very frustrated in queues sometimes. It can be funny or stupid when you look back at it but in the moment its awfully compelling. How can some thing so superfluous seem so painful (or desirable etc) in the moment? The following is my take on how to work with it based on my understanding of what my teacher has said.

Each rising emotion is momentary and changing. It appears but isn't solidly existing as some fixed entity. It arises due to causes and conditions. The causes are habitual patterns of perception. The conditions are the coming together of interdependent circumstances.

If you can see appearances and thoughts and emotions as being a little dream-like and illusory, then they will not appear to be so powerful or un-changeable. Meditation shows how an endless stream of rising thoughts flow in the mind; yet there is spacious awareness throughout and beyond these risings. We make all kinds of notions and attach importance and feelings to them. Meditation begins to release the strong grasping onto the risings revealing the present awareness that sees the illusory nature of the risings. With regular meditation practices, this quality of spacious awareness permeates our daily activities and we can apply it in situations.

It is said that if you let go of the object of the emotion and just focus with spacious awareness on the feeling itself, it just dissolves. So, a negative state of mind can be transformed in an instant if we can step out of the momentary grasping at the object. The emotion is ours; the grasping is ours; even the perceived object is a story we generate based on some information appearing to our senses. So its completely ours to transform.

Because we take the situation as very solid and real, we generate a very solid and real emotional response and feel powerless to overcome it. In truth, the appearances and the emotions do not have the power we have decided to attribute to them. They can be transformed. Thinking they are solid, things appear powerful. Seeing they are illusory, they become weakened.

When a negative situation and emotion arises, even if its too intense to let go of grasping, you can still transform it through strong heartfelt aspiration and resolution: Even though I couldn't work with this now, may I be able to transform it in future. Slowly, these aspirations ripen into your being able to deal with it better in the future. According to Mahayana, you also can wish that through your suffering this way, may others be freed from similar suffering.

I understand that it is important not to get disheartened, apathetic or indifferent when its difficult to deal with situations in a good way. You need to bring effort and intention to transform. But also bring humour that you are where you are and that you have things to work on. If there was nothing that was difficult to deal with, we'd be enlightened in no time.

Thank you ! Very good

• Advertisement
Advertisement