Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[concept] Irish Airsoft Photos website

Options
  • 03-06-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of throwing together another website for the irish airsoft community that will hold photos of Airsofting in Ireland.

I would see the following main features:

- Search for Photos by Site location
    - Ability to tag photos so search can be done on all photos that have an M4A1 or a scar-h, or woodland, FIBUA etc. Or how about photos taged with a M15 Raider and tagged that its in a FIBUA location.
    - Community-filled so ability for members to upload photos to the site (site would more rely on this as i do not go around photographing everything)
    - Rating of photos

What do people think about this idea ?
    Is it worth my while investing my time and money in getting it up and running ?
    Would it be used ?

Anyone interested in helping out with the design/development give me a shout, and at some stage may need admins to moderate the new photos being submitted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm sure the lads like puding and masada can give you a bit more expert consultation, especially regarding copyright and ****.

But from an end user point of view.

I have flickr,picasa,photobucket,facebook,twitter.

All these let me upload a picture straight from my phone after I take it. Or if I'm using a slr, I can go home and upload these pictures in really high quality and quickyl enough, to an already designated " irish airsoft " flickr group.

The likes have flickr have mass wide storage and distribtuion networks and sync on so many phones, applications and computers.

Dont see it being a big runner tbh : / And remember what, the average size of a photo from a slr is like 3 mb or something? How much storage are you buying, what sort of infrastructure has your storage got, will it **** itself if five people all try upload a different picture at once.

Good idea, nice thought, but there is already high quality, highly developed, highly backed applications and hosting services out there that let you do this for free, or for a very small fee with whopper functionality.

I aint the expert, I'd just say I wouldnt be a user

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

No - i appreciate the feedback. thats why im putting it up here.
    There may be the possibilty to read from these other hosts, think i say something like that the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

samhail wrote: »
    I'm thinking of throwing together another website for the irish airsoft community that will hold photos of Airsofting in Ireland.

I would see the following main features:

- Search for Photos by Site location
    - Ability to tag photos so search can be done on all photos that have an M4A1 or a scar-h, or woodland, FIBUA etc. Or how about photos taged with a M15 Raider and tagged that its in a FIBUA location.
    - Community-filled so ability for members to upload photos to the site (site would more rely on this as i do not go around photographing everything)
    - Rating of photos

What do people think about this idea ?
    Is it worth my while investing my time and money in getting it up and running ?
    Would it be used ?

Anyone interested in helping out with the design/development give me a shout, and at some stage may need admins to moderate the new photos being submitted.

I like this idea

Let me know if you need a hand with this, I'm a web developer by trade so I write systems like this for a living. I would be willing to donate time into a project like this. I can't design for crap though =)

And yes, using the twitter (and probably picassa) API's you should be able to drag photos into a system like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

nice idea but they already kinda exist, take the community flickr section, people can already do almost all you described, they can search by site if people tag the photograph correctly, can already be tagged with all information needed and comments left

there is already a load of hassle free, free to use resources that offer almost exactly the same thing

the idea is nice to have a dedicated irish site ( you could almost kinda do this on network airsoft just set up an irish group ) but the cost/time needed to be invested into setting up a dedicated site in my eyes is just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Even from a development perspective, APIs exist to make this a near non-entity to setup. I can think of several - either off the top of my head or a rudimentary search away - from an ASP.net perspective that provide very slick, shiny functionality.

Unless you were creating a portal, or your own personal site, or some such with an added gallery, there's not much point in re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

The other drawback that nobody has touched on is bandwidth cost. You would be effectively setting up a media-rich content site. That means more bandwidth per user-view than your average web page view (e.g. boards.ie for example). The likes of picasso, facebook, et al. can purchase bandwidth in bulk and in very large quantities. You can't. And you will either start getting billed per Mb over your allocation you go, or you'll get that lovely account suspended page. In which case you'll need to stump up cash for more bandwidth allocation, or try to make your site more bandwidth efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Cool - Thanks alot for the feed back. Lucky i posted here before investing too much time and other peoples time into this.

Sounds like a no runner at this time.

It would be nice to have though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Personaly, I think it sound like a great idea, but didn't think about the obvious thing like Storage and stuff.

But, if there was a way to creat a kind of search engine for airsoft photos, I think that would be class. Like, if there was a searchbar, and you typ in M4A1, and then got a list of thumbnails of where the pics are, then I think that could be good.

In saying that, I owuldn't have a clue how to go about doing that, but it would nice to be able to find out pics quick and easey without al the rigmorole.

J.D.R wrote: »
    But, if there was a way to creat a kind of search engine for airsoft photos, I think that would be class. Like, if there was a searchbar, and you typ in M4A1, and then got a list of thumbnails of where the pics are, then I think that could be good.

In saying that, I owuldn't have a clue how to go about doing that, but it would nice to be able to find out pics quick and easey without al the rigmorole.

You'd be limited to prompting users to enter meta-data information with pictures when submitted. Otherwise you're into stupendously math-heavy pattern recognition, with the added difficulty of camoflaged colours as well. Actually, it'd make a pretty cool PhD research subject come to think of it.

And you need to go store all the pattern recognition results as meta-data anyway for future retrieval. So there's even more data storage required with the added overhead of computational "crunch" requirements. That's a cluster/grid-computing job for what you want to do on the level you want to do it, with the performance level that users would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If your into photography in airsofting, and want to setup a site

You could setup some community or portal for airsoft media peeps, photographers and video peeps.

Discuss each others work, comment, review, feedback all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Lemming wrote: »
    You'd be limited to prompting users to enter meta-data information with pictures when submitted. Otherwise you're into stupendously math-heavy pattern recognition, with the added difficulty of camoflaged colours as well. Actually, it'd make a pretty cool PhD research subject come to think of it.

And you need to go store all the pattern recognition results as meta-data anyway for future retrieval. So there's even more data storage required with the added overhead of computational "crunch" requirements. That's a cluster/grid-computing job for what you want to do on the level you want to do it, with the performance level that users would expect.

Ah. I see.

Well, theres my idea shot to hell, but if anyone wants to get a PHD over this, then be my guest, cause I most definitely won't be pursueing that.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    If your into photography in airsofting, and want to setup a site

You could setup some community or portal for airsoft media peeps, photographers and video peeps.

Discuss each others work, comment, review, feedback all that lark.

TBH, a portal that's dedicated to photography or video would make more sense. We have a variety of forums that have gallery capabilities to varyign degrees (albeit a bit fiddly to navigate), and then the likes of Pudings superb redbadger galleries, but nothing that's specifically dedicated towards airsoft.

That said, you would need to do your homework on how best to organise user data in order to make such a site attractive and not just another alternative to picasso et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm in for the video end:)

Advertisement