Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Swap at Work

Options
  • 03-06-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Anyone got any tips about setting up a Book Swap in the office?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Anyone got any tips about setting up a Book Swap in the office?

thanks
    My mother tryed some thing like this in the school where she works but it seems to of fallen flat on it's face , first thing first see if you have a shelf/space you can use that is in a common area and book safethen a memo to say what is happening and asking people if they want to use the shelf to bring in some books and stick up a list of rules if you feel there is anything you need people to kniw /obyed by

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I also tried this. I put some of my own books in a plastic box on a spare shelf in the office. Then e-mailed everyone about it. I asked them to throw one of their own books in the box, one they had enjoyed. I offered to clear out the box every so often, and donate the books to the nearby Oxfam shop.

It caught people's interest. It worked best when the books were rotated regularly and new books went in the box. I also think that you need someone to take charge of the box, keep it tidy & clear it out regularly.

I'm a voracious reader, so a good selection of my own books went in the box. I think people liked the idea. Personally, I like the idea of other people reading my books, it gives you something else to chat about. Also there were quite a few keen book readers in the office.

I'm in a different office now, and I'd been thinking of starting a new book box.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

Thanks for your suggestions. We have a multi-lingual office, which may prove interesting. I take your point about tidying up the box from time to time

Advertisement