Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 Temperature Issue

Options
  • 03-06-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I bought a 02 Audi A4 1.9 TDI recently(private sale)
    All was fine until this morning on the way to work when I noticed that the Temperature guage had dropped to Zero (or 50...whatever the min reading is!)
    I pulled in at a garage....no sign of any leaks.....squeezed a few hoses and there was definately water in the engine....opened the expansion bottle....water quite warm...but not scalding.
    When I switch the car on I notice the guage does budge slightly but moves no further.
    Temperature guage was definately reading ok up to now.

Is this a faulty guage/sensor issue, a thermostat issue, or worse still.....
    Is there anything else I need to check before calling a mechanic in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fundthementals

Most likely a faulty temperature sensor - common VAG fault . Costs about 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Temperature gauge on my 02 Audi A4 is faulty as well, apparently it's a common fault.

Keep meaning to get mine fixed, will it really only cost me €30? Thought it would be more expensive than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Part is 20euro from otto, your going to need G12++ Coolant (provided you have VAG specific coolant in your coolant system).

I wrote a how to for a passat here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757452

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

Great stuff lads, thanks for the replies.
    Next question.....how can I be sure that it's not head gasket/thermostat issues and is it safe to continue driving the car....
    I have a semi-long journey to make this evening and dont want to risk damaging the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

PJ_RS1800 wrote: »
    Great stuff lads, thanks for the replies.
    Next question.....how can I be sure that it's not head gasket/thermostat issues and is it safe to continue driving the car....
    I have a semi-long journey to make this evening and dont want to risk damaging the car.

The engine would be too warm not too cold with HG issues... Shouldn't do any damage, but the sensor is so cheap replace asap...

• Advertisement
Advertisement