Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Traditional Irish Ale

Options
  • 03-06-2010 8:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

One word wow, have seen this in Aldi the last few months but was afraid to buy it as it was 5.69 for 4 bottles but last week the have reduced it to 4.69 so i gave it a try and oh my god this is my new drink, its fantastic, im a fan of ales but its very hard to get good ones here in Ireland.
    Anyone else try it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Yep - it's cracking stuff - better value now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah it's a great beer. Made in Ireland too, which is good to see. The Carlow Brewing Company, the same guys that do O'Haras.

Nice to see the price drop too. Must pick some up tonight so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great beer. Made in Ireland too, which is good to see. The Carlow Brewing Company, the same guys that do O'Haras.

Nice to see the price drop too. Must pick some up tonight so. :D

I'm off to Aldi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

its very hard to get good ones here in Ireland.
    It's a lot easier when you know where to look.

The bars and offies on this map, for instance, and you can order online from here or here. For every pub and restaurant that serves beer from independent Irish breweries, see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I only hope that they wont stop stocking it because the stock in my local Aldi was there for months until it was brought down in price, the bottles were all full of dust and the store manager said they didnt sell well.
    Must stock up big time today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Really good beer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I only hope that they wont stop stocking it because the stock in my local Aldi was there for months until it was brought down in price, the bottles were all full of dust and the store manager said they didnt sell well.
    Must stock up big time today.

Would it not be better for Aldi to brand this as O'Hara's or as a Carlow Brewing Company beer seen that they have a decent reputation.

My brother picked up a few for me a while ago and they are lovely. I would just imagine that people see them in Aldi and think "oh look, a cheap version of Smithwicks, no thanks"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

DBCyc wrote: »
    Would it not be better for Aldi to brand this as O'Hara's or as a Carlow Brewing Company beer seen that they have a decent reputation.
    They sort-of do: Seamus O'Hara is featured on the packaging. But they're also trying to build a strong brand reputation for themselves (Seamus said they were very exacting about the quality of the beer when they commissioned it), so having it as Aldi beer, made by Carlow Brewing, is how they're doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

A lovely beer, superior to the O'Hara's Irish Red. I do find the 330ml bottles to be a bit annoying though, just so used to getting Ale in 500ml bottles.

Still, at the new price point I will be picking up some more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sergeant wrote: »
    A lovely beer, superior to the O'Hara's Irish Red. I do find the 330ml bottles to be a bit annoying though, just so used to getting Ale in 500ml bottles.
    I know it's not a huge difference but I actually like that. It's nice when you just quick beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sergeant wrote: »

Still, at the new price point I will be picking up some more of it.

I'd agree with all of this. I'm off to Aldi in the afternoon now to pick up a few of these for a session on Saturday.

I already got some of the cheap Leffe in Tesco too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Excellent news. I will be picking up a good few of these on the way home from work...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Awww ewwww Just finished my 6th bottle there, they really did hit the spot tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭silliegillie

Hmmm thinks I be trying this tonight. What Percentage is it ? I usually get stubbie in lidl 10*25ml bottles for 4.39 at 4.9% which I love, Have to travel a bit to get to Aldi but will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hmmmm, I just stocked up on some beer for the weekend but I think a trip to Aldi is in order to buy some of this ale.
    Carlow Brewing company make some cracking drinks.
    Curim was one of the first non-superbrewery drinks I tried many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Interesting. Haven't been in Aldi in a while. Must pop in tomorrow. Hope they have some up here in Donegal (not always guaranteed that we'll get what ye down South get!).

Advertisement