Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a prescription for the pill

Options
  • 03-06-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

my girlfriend is currently on the pill (Yasmin) without having a prescription.
    She is non-Irish and got her supplies of pills over the counter back in her homeland (completely legal for pharmacies in Spain, Romania, etc to sell it without prescription)

Unfotunatly bad planning happened and supplies will be running shortly out soon before she will return again back to her home.

According to her sister it would take some time to get a prescription in Ireland as a pap test ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pap_test ) is mandatory beforehand. Thats at least what the gynecologist of her sister has said.

Problem here is that it will take some time till results from any test will be avaialable and and the test can't be done during certain times of the cycle.

Questions:
    Is it true that this kind of test is obligatory to get a prescription for the pill or was this only a money making scam of a single doctor?

I have heared that some doctors/clinics are refusing completely to prescribe the pill. Can someone perhaps recommend a doctor/clinic which has no more problems with prescription of the pill?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

No test required - the doctor will check blood pressure etc. and ask a few questions, but your girlfriend should be able to leave with a prescription.

I'd say it's very rare these days to find a doctor who won't prescribe the contraceptive pill. When you're ringing to book an appointment, say it's to get a pill prescription, and I'm sure if they have a problem with it they'll tell you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If she is on the pill then she should be getting regular smear tests etc, but it is not mandatory.

I can't imagine any doctor refusing to prescribe the pill, unless there is a necessary medical reason. The only painful part of this will be paying the doctor's fee and then paying for the prescription at the pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

I've never had an issue getting the pill, and I've moved around a bit before settling so have visited a few different doctors. All that's ever happened is blood pressure checked. Defo not true about the smear test, not from my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

That's absolute rubbish about the smear test. You don't even need a pelvic exam. You get your blood pressure checked, answer a few questions and that's pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

If she has money to pay for a doctor then she can have it in 15 minutes.

The Smear test rubbish is probably just some Doctor eager to cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The only reason a sane doctor will refuse her the pill is for medical reasons and in that case she shouldn't be on it anyway.

I've never heard of any doctors who will refuse to prescribe it for absolutely no reason.

Advertisement