Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To move or not to move

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My boyfriend has been offered a job in Holland. Its a brilliant experience and really could do wonders for his career.

Thing is I'm not sure if i want to move there. Iv already been living abroad for a few years with him. And to be honest I thought our next move would be home (were both from the same place).
    Though i know there wouldn't be anywhere near as good opportunities for him at home. I just cant imagine uprooting again. It took me so long to settle here, but sometimes i am still quite lonely. He on the other hand takes to new environments like a duck to water.

If I voiced my concerns, he wouldn't accept the offer. He would put my happiness first. But I don't want him resent me or to deny him this wonderful chance.

Im not really sure what Im looking for here, but id love to hear from anyone who has been in this kind of situation before.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Sorry are you at home now or you've settled into somewhere abroad now ? Its not that clear from your post.

Well I can only tell you what I'd do in your position, absolutely not go home and most definitely go to Holland. Travel when your young, make the most of it. Home will always be there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, OP here

Sorry it wasnt clear. I am currently abroad and have been for over 2yrs. I know what you are saying is right and is what i would advise too.
    But the first yr i moved i was so lonely and it really took a long time to build some sort of a life here. The thought of doing that all over again is so daunting. Especially when I dont speak dutch (obviously i would take classes). And I dont want him to begin to resent me either while we live there, if i was unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

You say he would put your happiness, maybe move to Holland and if you really hate it tell him then and move home. If you need to learn the language you could take classes over there, a quick easy way to make friends :D

Advertisement