Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of Prescription Meds

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have loads of prescription meds of my own thats gathered up over the last couple of years from changing meds and not needing some of them.

I was wondering if their is any way that you can dispose of them in a safe manner. Like I am talking about a plastic bag full at least.

I am aware that some pharmacies dispose of them but I am wondering would it be a bit weird if a girl of my age (21) to go in with a large bag of meds?

Any advice please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mitsy

Hi there, any unwanted or out of date prescription medication or otherwise should be taken to your local pharmacy. The pharmacist will dispose of the medication in a safe manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Like does quantities of meds be considered or do they just dispose of them and say nothing? I have just never done anything like this before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Flush them down the toilet is what I used to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gillo wrote: »
    Flush them down the toilet is what I used to do.

Please don't do this, as it contaminates the water in a way the sewage treatment plants can't handle.

Take them into your own chemist and hand them in, they will have had records of what you've been on and just ask to see the dispensing chemist and hand them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hadn't realised that, lucky I've never had to throw away much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gillo wrote: »
    Hadn't realised that, lucky I've never had to throw away much.
    The contraceptive pill has resulted in so much female hormones being present in the environment that it is detectable in many water sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Victor wrote: »
    The contraceptive pill has resulted in so much female hormones being present in the environment that it is detectable in many water sources.

And pigs too from a story on the news i saw earlier :eek:

But that was down to an irresponsible waste company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Crane

Hey OP, it's no big deal at all. I work in a pharmacy and we get people of all ages bringing in both large and small amounts of unused medication for us to dispose of. I don't think it is even policy to check whether the medication matches up with that which has been dispensed to you by the pharmacist previously - after all, not everyone gets all their medication from one pharmacy. Mostly we're just glad that people are disposing of their medication safely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you all for your replies!

I am just moving out of my apartment tomorrow and want to dispose of them in a safe manner. I will just walk into a pharmacy late on today and hand them into them!

Thanks again! :)

Advertisement