Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Religions And Theology, leading to teaching?

• 02-06-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I have put ''World Religions And Theology'' with ''Sociology'' as a TSM in Trinity, on my CAO this year.
    I also have ''World Religions And Theology'' as a single honours course on the list.
    Would these courses be suitable, to be a teacher in secondary school, following a HDIP in education? I would really appreciate any feedback, from sudents, teachers, and well, anyone. Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hi, I do "Religions and Theology", but I don't know a course called "World Religions and Theology".

In R&T anyway, there are certain modules that you have to take in order to get the qualification to teach Religion (they tend to be Ethics, World Religions, and Philosophy-based ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Hi, I do "Religions and Theology", but I don't know a course called "World Religions and Theology".

In R&T anyway, there are certain modules that you have to take in order to get the qualification to teach Religion (they tend to be Ethics, World Religions, and Philosophy-based ones).

Ahh thank you! Yeh i think they have changed the name of it a few times.
    Do you do it with anything else or as a single course?
    Do you like it?
    :D

Also, what other jobs could you get afterwards?
    Thanks, its much appreciated :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I do it single honours, and I absolutely love it to be honest. I was interested in Theology for years but I wasn't sure if I was serious about it until I actually put it on my CAO. But it has really really exceeded my expectations! Couldn't be happier with it. Now the department is seriously inefficient and shakey most of the time, but if you're actually interested in Theology and not afraid to do some hard work then I'd very highly reccommend it. The lecturers are a little...inefficient, but most of them are really fantastic. It'll be practically the opposite to Sociology!

God knows what the jobs market will be like when you finish your degree, nobody can accurately forecast what the future holds and don't believe anyone that says they can! I really didn't know what a degree in Theology would do for me, everyone just told me I ought do what I'm most interested in, and that was definitely Theology...But really everyone in the department (and the post-graduates I've met) say that Theology is more useful than more skeptical students might say. Here's a link that may help:

http://www.tcd.ie/Religions_Theology/undergraduate/careers.php

If you end up in Theology feel free to get in contact with me again, either here or I'll probably still be with the College Theological Society (join us!). It's a small department (which is good), it's good that the students stick together!

Oh and the students come from every kind of backround and religious/philosophical standing, so whether you're a staunch Atheist or a devout Christian (or anything) there'll be plenty of people like you! And don't worry, not everyone's interested in Theology...at first!

I do it single honours, and I absolutely love it to be honest. I was interested in Theology for years but I wasn't sure if I was serious about it until I actually put it on my CAO. But it has really really exceeded my expectations! Couldn't be happier with it. Now the department is seriously inefficient and shakey most of the time, but if you're actually interested in Theology and not afraid to do some hard work then I'd very highly reccommend it. The lecturers are a little...inefficient, but most of them are really fantastic. It'll be practically the opposite to Sociology!

God knows what the jobs market will be like when you finish your degree, nobody can accurately forecast what the future holds and don't believe anyone that says they can! I really didn't know what a degree in Theology would do for me, everyone just told me I ought do what I'm most interested in, and that was definitely Theology...But really everyone in the department (and the post-graduates I've met) say that Theology is more useful than more skeptical students might say. Here's a link that may help:

http://www.tcd.ie/Religions_Theology/undergraduate/careers.php

If you end up in Theology feel free to get in contact with me again, either here or I'll probably still be with the College Theological Society (join us!). It's a small department (which is good), it's good that the students stick together!

Oh and the students come from every kind of backround and religious/philosophical standing, so whether you're a staunch Atheist or a devout Christian (or anything) there'll be plenty of people like you! And don't worry, not everyone's interested in Theology...at first!

Thanks you so much! Great information! Cant thank you enough!
    Cant wait to do it now, all i need to do now is the leaving! :D

No probs. Theological society stand, Freshers week 2010/11!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just be aware that not all schools do religion and very few teachers are just religion teachers. They're usually religion and history teachers, or English or something.

Just be aware that not all schools do religion and very few teachers are just religion teachers. They're usually religion and history teachers, or English or something.
    Yeh i also plan on doing a post grad in english, eventually. Plus if i get it with sociology i will be quailified to teach CSPE too, which is compulsory for junior certs, and they are bringing in politics as a follow on subject for CSPE a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I’m a Theo grad.

In the real world the jobs you can get with Theology are pretty much none!

Teaching and further academics are the height of it.

Not considering other jobs where you just need a humanities degree to show you’re a critical thinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

I'm just finished 2nd year Sociology and Theology (the only person in my year who does that combination!) and I love both subjects.

Sociology is a very organised department, it comes under the BESS department for the most part meaning that they're dealing with hundreds of students. Don't lose heart in first year, it's a bit all over the place and vague. But DO go to lectures, it'll stand to you when exam time comes round and try do reading for tutorials.

Theology, as Dark Glasses mentioned, is the opposite to Sociology. The department is highly unorganised but you can't help but think that it adds to its charm. Most of the lecturers are really lovely and approachable, and unlike sociology you actually get to know them on a personal level. It's also way easier to get to know people to Theology, unlike the extremely scary Sociology lectures of 400 people!

I did Religion for the LC and LOVED it which led me to do Theology at 3rd level. If you do single honours you're automatically qualified to teach LC religion but if you end up doing TSM then you have to choose certain subjects, Ethics, New Testament, Christology etc. But these are all outlined on your choice form at the end of 1st year so don't worry about that.

As far as what else you can get into I'm still worrying about that myself (ha) but I honestly think that there's more to University than the subjects you study. Get involved with societies and campaigns and organisations. Both theology and sociology teach you how to read and study and most importantly form an opinion of your own, i.e. 'unlearning' everything the leaving cert system taught us (as one of my sociology lectures put it!).

Trinity is a really great college to go to, welcome to the Theo department!!

jobey wrote: »
    I'm just finished 2nd year Sociology and Theology (the only person in my year who does that combination!) and I love both subjects.

Sociology is a very organised department, it comes under the BESS department for the most part meaning that they're dealing with hundreds of students. Don't lose heart in first year, it's a bit all over the place and vague. But DO go to lectures, it'll stand to you when exam time comes round and try do reading for tutorials.

Theology, as Dark Glasses mentioned, is the opposite to Sociology. The department is highly unorganised but you can't help but think that it adds to its charm. Most of the lecturers are really lovely and approachable, and unlike sociology you actually get to know them on a personal level. It's also way easier to get to know people to Theology, unlike the extremely scary Sociology lectures of 400 people!

I did Religion for the LC and LOVED it which led me to do Theology at 3rd level. If you do single honours you're automatically qualified to teach LC religion but if you end up doing TSM then you have to choose certain subjects, Ethics, New Testament, Christology etc. But these are all outlined on your choice form at the end of 1st year so don't worry about that.

As far as what else you can get into I'm still worrying about that myself (ha) but I honestly think that there's more to University than the subjects you study. Get involved with societies and campaigns and organisations. Both theology and sociology teach you how to read and study and most importantly form an opinion of your own, i.e. 'unlearning' everything the leaving cert system taught us (as one of my sociology lectures put it!).

Trinity is a really great college to go to, welcome to the Theo department!!
    Wow, thank you SO much for the feedback!
    Im not to worried about the jobs at the moment, just want to sort out the next four years first, and ill worry about the rest when the time comes around!
    Again thank you so much, i cant wait to do it be there next year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement