Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nesting boxes for Great Tits

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Recently I have had a few pairs of Great tits regulary visit my garden, I am interested in putting up a few nesting boxes to try and entice them to nest later in the year.
    I am aware that I will need a 32mm box (as in the hole), does any one have any suggestions or tips as to where I can pick one or two up at a reasonable price in the South Dublin or Naas areas?

Woodies sell them, but Im not giving them €22.95 for one! Bit too rich for my liking, especially when they can be got online for a fiver or so.
    Would prefer to keep the business local though, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well, you need to buy a well made one and the type you want see here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-Proper-Wild-Bird-Nesting-Boxes-nest-box-Hand-Made-/230482534540?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item35a9d4608c#ht_3360wt_911 will set you back £25-98 including p+p so it should be cheaper in Ireland.

Birdwatch Ireland have a shop here: http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie/birdwatchireland/index.php?cPath=25_27

a little pricey but you are supporting a good cause with your purchase plus the item you buy will be high quality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Agree with Judgement Day on this, buy cheap buy twice! I bought one from Woodies 3 years ago cost me 19.99 and is still as good as new, I have had a pair of blue tits nest in it every year and have just witnessed the fledging of the latest family this morning. Well worth the money and I would say it will be there for another 3 years or more.

ps....just another thought, Powerscourt Garden Centre do a range of bird houses which look good and are not as expensive as Woodies, maybe 9.95 to 15.95 depending on size.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Might be a bit late to be putting up boxes now to entice them to nest in your garden.

But no harm in putting them up as you may get lucky and get some residents in the box this summer, but if not you will have provided some spots for birds to roost over the winter and by next spring your local birds will be used to the nest boxes and you will have a better chance of one being used.

There is also the chance that other species will take a liking to your next boxes.

The first batch of young great tits in my garden have already fledged at this point, so I would be guessing that my resident great tits will be getting ready for their second batch in the next few weeks.

Make sure you have your nest boxes north facing if you can, and at the very least somewhere with plenty of cover where the box does not get hit with a lot of direct sunlight. If you put it somewhere where the sun shines on it a lot, then it is a potential death trap for young birds if it gets used as it will get far too hot inside it during the day when we have strong sun.

Advertisement