Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental help on public system?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Does anyone know how I can access psychologists or CBT therapists on the public system?

According to HSE.ie they exist but I have been to my doctor (panic attacks/anxiety) and he says there are no psychologists on the public system to refer me to??:confused:

He just gave me a prescription for Lexapro tablets and come back in 4 weeks?!

I wasn't impressed. He's the doctor on my medical card so I can't go to anyone else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get started on the lexapro and then go back to him and tell him you want a referal.
    If he doesn't give you one for a councellor who is trained in cbt then ring your local health clinic and as for a referal list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You could always ring and make an appointment yourself? Waiting lists can be huge btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

Theres more than one way to skin a cat OP. As one poster said, waiting lists can be long. Im assuming money is an issue. But there are quite a few therapists who operate a sliding scale. I know of one very kind lady who was willing to cut her usual fee by as much as 50%. So its well worth your while to make some calls.

Also there are some organisations that are registered charities and operate on a donation basis. Which means they'll only charge you as much as you can afford. So if you can only swing a tenner then thats all you'll be asked for. I know this place operates on such a system:

http://www.dctc.ie/

And also

http://www.villagecounselling.com/index_files/Page380.htm

The help you need is there at a price you can afford, you just have to make some calls or send a few e-mails.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Right now 1 in ten patients are taking medication for mental health.
    Doctors are having to cope with unprecedented cases like never before.
    Yes Doctors are over worked and should take each case on an individual basis. Maybe its like working on a production line in a factory. Doctors have loads of experience writing prescriptions at the minute.

Work with your doctor. Ask him if he thinks you will benefit, from it. In the mean time, it takes at least to show any positive benefit. Once you are into your second month you will have a new lease of life. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

We have a Third World Mental Health System in Ireland. You'll be waiting a long time to see someone via the system. If its Anxiry/Panic issues you are having you would be better off contacting Odhran Mc Carthy at the following link .....

http://www.socialanxietyireland.com/contactdetails.htm

Get yourself onto the 14 week course. Its free of charge and is a involves dealing with panic/anxiety in a group setting. The course is 1 night per week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement