Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn dilemma - orchids

Options
  • 02-06-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

The old place I lived in had loads of Common Spotted Orchid dotted about the meadows. Loved them to bits, beautiful flowers and although I was often tempted, I never picked one.

The new place has loads of Mare's Tail but in the past few days I was in for a surprise!

Literally within two days these little orchids appeared at the part of the lawn closest to the house. They aren't as tall as the Spotted ones and I just found out what they are Hebridean Spotted-Orchid. Beautiful low growing plants with deep purple flowers. Absolutely gorgeous and I believe quite rare.

Now what am I going to do?

Naturally, I want the place to look tidy - I am not a neat-freak but the lawn is the first thing one sees when coming to my house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

I have Pyramidal orchids in my lawn, so I leave the grass uncut through the summer. However, I usually keep a narrow border and narrow winding walkway through the lawn neatly mown, in order to take the 'neglected' look off it

Advertisement