Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for Outlook needed

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, wondering if you can help me out here. Got a new Broadband modem yesterday and it's causing issues with my wife's outlook account. While it recieves mail, it won't send it and keeps telling her that there is an issue contacting the mail server.

She works from home and her IT dept are no longer in existance, the problem doesn't arise if she's using the old modem (froma differerent provider) but the connection is painfully slow.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what we could try to sort this out?

All advice greatfully appreciated - Mods, feel free to move this if in the wrong forum.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

definitely sounds like the new modem is the issue, not outlook, and as such, the provider of said modem should be able to provide full support to resolve a connectivity problem with their product! ya know!!?

It's probably something fairly simply (i'm sure i'll eat my words! :P), a configuration on the modem. You can usually connect to them through the web browser to make any changes. But I would be contacting the provider before messing with that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Will give it a go - thanks for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is the modem from a different ISP to one the email is on by any chance ?

If you have eircom email and change over to UPC, you can receive mail from eircoms server BUT you can't send email via eircoms server, instead you send email via UPC server

so make sure the outgoing server is set to match the internet provider you are on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Is the modem from a different ISP to one the email is on by any chance ?

If you have eircom email and change over to UPC, you can receive mail from eircoms server BUT you can't send email via eircoms server, instead you send email via UPC server

so make sure the outgoing server is set to match the internet provider you are on

I think this may be the issue, have you any idea how I find out the details of the new server - do I have to contact the ISP?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think this may be the issue, have you any idea how I find out the details of the new server - do I have to contact the ISP?

Many thanks

Most of the time the outgoing server is smtp.<nameofyourisp>. For example UPC's would be smtp.upcmail.ie. That sort of information should be easily available on the ISP's web site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

This certainly sounds like the outgoing smtp server is incorrect now that you are with another provider. Who did you get the mobile broadband wilth?

Change the settings within Tools - Account

Vodafone - mail.vodafone.ie
    o2 - smtp.o2.ie

Advertisement