Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English comparative texts.

• 02-06-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

What's everyone's three texts for the comparative? Mine are A dolls house, il postino and pride and prejudice. My class are doing dancing at lughnasa, but I found it so god dam boring I just had to pick pride and prejudice instead. Just as well I knew the story inside and out!

So what texts are everyone doing? Do you like your 3 texts?

Oh and what do you reckon? CC,GV or Genre?
    Personally i'm hoping for the auld gv. Its not too bad.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Well I'm a repeat and the class in my school were doing three texts that I didn't have a clue about so luckily my grinds teacher helped me out big time by doing the texts she done with her class.

Dancing at Lughnasa. (Pretty boring but read it in like two days and it's okay)
    Billy Elliot. (Awesome film)
    Panther in the Basement. (Haven't read just have summaries)

I'm hoping for General Vision and viewpoint aswell...I have a feeling they might surprise us with Cultural Context though. :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I'm doing:
    Panther in the Basement (novel)
    Dancing at Lughnasa (play)
    Billy Elliot (film)

I'm hoping General Vision and Viewpoint comes up but I've heard Literary Genre is a banker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Anyone know were to get some quality notes on Billy Elliot?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Anyone know were to get some quality notes on Billy Elliot?

well I bought a book called Comparative Study 2010 and it deals with my option above which includes Billy Elliot, if that's any help.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Frank Rich Campus

Doing Lies of Silence by Brian Moore, Dancing at Lughnasa by Brian Friel and Il Postino directed by Michael Radford.

All pretty easy to learn for, except maybe for Il Postino due to the lack of quotes available (we only watched it once, and that was in late '09).

GV+V or Cultural Context... I don't mind either one, they're pretty much the same anyway. Just stick each paragraph under main headings (religion, poverty, family life/key relationships, general vision/effects of society) and it's a piece of cake.

He says, 8 days before he fails English. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I would die of happiness if CC came up. Had a look at some past papers and the pattern is that it always comes up in a pair, like in 2002 and 2003, in 2006 and 2007, and hopefully now in 2009 and 2010...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

Wuthering Heights (yeah!!!!!) Pride and Prejudice and Playboy of the Western world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

!?! wrote: »
    Wuthering Heights (yeah!!!!!) Pride and Prejudice and Playboy of the Western world :D

wow, Pride and Prejudice. Did not think many schools would be doing that, just because it's so long. Did ye read it all in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Doing:
    Wuthering Heights
    Il Postino
    Waiting For Godot

Really hoping for v&v because english is my least prepared and i don't really know the other aspects at all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Wuthering Heights,Inside Im dancing and Playboy of the western world...the later which I have no clue what is going on in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Does anyone know if you're supposed to quote as much in a comparative essay as in poetry or Lear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

As far as I recall you dont need to quote, just reference.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    As far as I recall you dont need to quote, just reference.

Yay that's great if that's the case because I already have enough quotes to go over! Thanks

Victoria. wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you're supposed to quote as much in a comparative essay as in poetry or Lear?

Hmmmm....... well quoting shows you know the text, so that automatically gets you points. But comparative is mainly about comparing and contrasting texts. I'd say, if and where you can, quote. But don't panic if you can't. Just reference to it.

oh and as a side note, don't mis quote lear........ they don't like that at all! You can get away with mis quotes in comparative, not in lear.

orlabobs wrote: »
    Hmmmm....... well quoting shows you know the text, so that automatically gets you points. But comparative is mainly about comparing and contrasting texts. I'd say, if and where you can, quote. But don't panic if you can't. Just reference to it.

oh and as a side note, don't mis quote lear........ they don't like that at all! You can get away with mis quotes in comparative, not in lear.

Ok right thanks. I only know about 3 quotes per text, not as many as the other sections so was going to hunt for quotes today. I have a big list of Lear quotes and I'm hoping to know those well by next Thursday so I'll be concentrating on those.

Victoria. wrote: »
    Ok right thanks. I only know about 3 quotes per text, not as many as the other sections so was going to hunt for quotes today. I have a big list of Lear quotes and I'm hoping to know those well by next Thursday so I'll be concentrating on those.

I'd say, have one quote for each text for each topic of discussion at least. That means that if they ask for key moments, your sorted.

Like the more the better, but that should be fine.

wow, Pride and Prejudice. Did not think many schools would be doing that, just because it's so long. Did ye read it all in school?

yep we always read through the text we're doing :p took quite long since Wuthering Heights was in there as well, but Playboy of the Western World is quite short so that was compensation

yep we always read through the text we're doing :p took quite long since Wuthering Heights was in there as well, but Playboy of the Western World is quite short so that was compensation

Ya i know thats normally the way, but like i said it is like a long book (but totally worth it!)
    It was handy in my class, my teacher did two short plays (A dolls house and dancing at lughnasa) and then Il Postino. So it didnt take too long to figure out. Its only because I knew p and p so well, loved it and hated dal that i chose to do it.

Ya i know thats normally the way, but like i said it is like a long book (but totally worth it!)
    It was handy in my class, my teacher did two short plays (A dolls house and dancing at lughnasa) and then Il Postino. So it didnt take too long to figure out. Its only because I knew p and p so well, loved it and hated dal that i chose to do it.

haha you seem very enthusiastic about Pride and Prejudice, I love it too, :p, it's pretty brave doing it on your own, you must really know it well!

haha you seem very enthusiastic about Pride and Prejudice, I love it too, :p, it's pretty brave doing it on your own, you must really know it well!

It probably is my favourite novel. So when it showed up on the course I really wanted to do it, but my teacher wasn't doing it. But I decided, after doing all 3 texts, that I wanted to do pride and prejudice. I've read the book about 4 times and I've watched the bbc mini series several several times too. So ya, I really do know it well! I'd love if i could have done it as a single text!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Girl With A Pearl Earring
    Casablanca
    Sive

Texts are so damn boring. Hope to god Vision and Viewpoint comes up, useless at the comparative, never get good marks in it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tibbers

The Bookseller of Kabul (novel)
    Il postino (film)
    Dancing at Lughnasa (play)

My teacher is awesome and picked very good material. Say, The bookseller of Kabul is actual with current affairs. So it has great impact when you go beyond the book. Also you can write tons when it comes to your own personal opinions and views about this.

Il postino is very easy to understand and remember. The plot and characters are as simple as ABC. Although the main character is annoying >.<

Dancing at Lugnasa is a classic. Not so easy to remember and characters are complex. However, having 2 easy and 1 fairly hard is grand.

Oh, I'm going to ace English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

We're doing The Truman Show, Wuthering Heights and, unfortunately, Playboy of the Western World.

TS is good for comparative but I'd preferred to have done WH for single text and throw Lear into this section instead, mainly because it's so much easier to pick out key moments in Lear. But meh, what's done is done.

Actually, on the topic of WH, can anyone tell me if there are any substantial references to clothing in the book? It's just that I'm planning an LG essay out and if I could waft in some crap about clothing, it would be a nice comparison against TS's dress code of uniforms and exclusively conservative office wear, and WH's peasant dress. There's no way I'd have time to read it again so any help of the top of your head would be très helpful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

In relation to 'key moments', do we need to have them in our essays? I like to do the long 70 mark question rather than the split up 30 and 40 question. So do I need key moments? Obviously I reference moments in the text without calling them 'key moments', but our teacher never really did anything about key moments...

zam wrote: »
    In relation to 'key moments', do we need to have them in our essays? I like to do the long 70 mark question rather than the split up 30 and 40 question. So do I need key moments? Obviously I reference moments in the text without calling them 'key moments', but our teacher never really did anything about key moments...

Key Moment are simply significant passages or scenes that are relevant to what your talking about. Its basically being able to reference the text.
    You really do need to have specific 'key moments' to talk about in each text under each heading your going to talk about. That way, if they ask for a question on 'key moments' its the same as if you did a normal question. The only difference is for the key moments question you say: "it is clear in the key moment" or some variation.

But ya, you really do need to have key moments. it doesnt have to be a momentous scene, just one which demonstrates what you are going to talk about well.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

Im doing Wuthering Heights, Il Postino and Waiting for Godot. I'm really glad we did Waiting for Godot, the whole class really enjoyed it, and the other two aren't that bad either. I've broken down an A1 Vv essay into points and quotes and learned them off so I'm hoping a general question on it will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

Im Doing
    Billy Elliot (Film)
    A Dolls House (Play)
    Pride And Pred (Novel)

Love them all :D
    Im banking on General Vision and Viewpoint coming up, LOVE doing it!
    But never studied LG? I dont know why we didnt do it exactly, we were finished the course well before xmas...oh well my general vision and viewpoint and cultural context are both pretty good, so doesn't really matter i guess?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

im doing king lear, lies of silence and the truman show.
    Im hoping on LG cos i really like that, im not bad about the general vision.
    So im doing major focusing on LG and hoping it be a nice Q:)

Advertisement