Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help buying a Mac

Options
  • 01-06-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hey,its gonna be my first mac and id like some help buying one.
    At the moment i have a 15" pc that i intend to sell to finance some of the pc.

There are 2 choices im interested in.
    A 13" base line macbook pro for 1035
    Whats the real battery life on macbooks as well,it couldnt really be 10hours could it?
    +
    an external monitor for say around 140-170
    eg
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/lg-electronics-22-w-5ms-1000-1-lcd-tft-6MC1.html
    or
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-034-BQ&groupid=17&catid=949&subcat=

Any other good value monitors for around that budget would be handy as well

option 2
    27inch base line imac for 1350

On top of this i can get rebate on a selection of ipods etc.
    rebates here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055921665
    Can any of ye tell me which one of these would have the best resale value so i could get back some of the money im putting down on this bad boy.
    How does rebate work as well if anyone has done it before?

What is the best keyboard and mouse as well.im gonna need wireless/bluetooth id say.Is there much of a difference between the mighty/magic mouse and where is the cheapest place to buy them

At the moment im swaying toward the first one,but any thoughts are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

if your going to keep the mac on your desk I would opt for the iMac 27", if you intend to go mobile, get the macbook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fol20 wrote: »
    On top of this i can get rebate on a selection of ipods etc.
    rebates here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055921665
    Can any of ye tell me which one of these would have the best resale value so i could get back some of the money im putting down on this bad boy.
    If you leave it sealed, you should get a pretty good price for any of them. Just make sure you get one that will give you the full rebate.
    How does rebate work as well if anyone has done it before?
    Full T&C here. I would recommend reading it carefully. But basically you have to buy from the Apple education store and both iPod and Mac must be purchased together. Then when you get them you fill in the online forum, cut out the barcodes and send them away. Then afaik Apple will deposit the rebate into your bank account. Takes about a month I think.
    Is there much of a difference between the mighty/magic mouse and where is the cheapest place to buy them
    The Mighty Mouse is an older Mac mouse. Still does the trick but has a lot of problems with the scroll-wheel. You'd be better going for the Magic Mouse, but you might want to consider a third-party mouse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

If you leave it sealed, you should get a pretty good price for any of them. Just make sure you get one that will give you the full rebate.

Full T&C here. I would recommend reading it carefully. But basically you have to buy from the Apple education store and both iPod and Mac must be purchased together. Then when you get them you fill in the online forum, cut out the barcodes and send them away. Then afaik Apple will deposit the rebate into your bank account. Takes about a month I think.

The Mighty Mouse is an older Mac mouse. Still does the trick but has a lot of problems with the scroll-wheel. You'd be better going for the Magic Mouse, but you might want to consider a third-party mouse as well.

Im in college at the moment so im thinking option one has the best of both worlds.

I also have a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000,just id like to get a mac mouse for ease of use.Does the magic mouse have a right click or whats the story with that?

Does anyone know any other offers when you buy a mac as well,i heard you can get rebate on a printer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Does the magic mouse have a right click or whats the story with that?

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

yes if you want right click it can do that, as well as a lot of other useful features

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does anyone know any other offers when you buy a mac as well,i heard you can get rebate on a printer as well
    That seems to be over now. Might start again soon, keep an eye on the store. When I got my MBP last summer I was able to avail of both promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A 13" base line macbook pro for 1035

Buy from the apple refurb store, you still get the exact same warranty, i've bought most of my mac's from there, even had to return and imac and there it was not bother, had a new one in a few days, it's well worth the saving.

Here's a mac book pro for 889, it will be as new.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FB990B/A?mco=MTA4MzIzMzA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laptophire

drunkmonkey's link is the best way to go. We buy a lot of our Mac's here from that section on Apple's site. And if the MacBook Pro is to be your first Mac? You'll be immensely pleased.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

Hi,
    My fist mac was a 15" macbook pro. got it three years ago. upgraded to newer 13" macbook pro last year. Macbook pros are great and best looking laptops out there.

If you do go the refurb route, keep in mind you won't be able to avail of the iPod rebate.

• Advertisement

Buying the laptop works out at 955 new so im going to stick to that.One question i have to ask all you mac users is how the audio in and out works.With pcs,there is a seperate port for each,however with the 13inch there is only one port.How does this allow me use a mic and earphones at the same time?Do i have to get an adapter,whats the cheapest one i can buy?

The MacBook Pro does have two audio ports, one for headphones, one for mic. As far as I know, both will work as inputs too, so you can use a mic/headphone combo (like your iphone headphones). But yes, there are two ports.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

laptophire wrote: »
    The MacBook Pro does have two audio ports, one for headphones, one for mic. As far as I know, both will work as inputs too, so you can use a mic/headphone combo (like your iphone headphones). But yes, there are two ports.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

The 13 inch doesn't have two outputs.

@Fol, if you are looking to play a fair bit of audio or anything halfway professional then I'd suggest you pick up a wee external sound card; a basic should cost about €30 from a generic computer parts shop and will give you far better and more balanced sound. If you are looking to work professionally then somewhere like Big Bear Audio will carry higher end sound cards.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The 13 inch doesn't have two outputs.

@Fol, if you are looking to play a fair bit of audio or anything halfway professional then I'd suggest you pick up a wee external sound card; a basic should cost about €30 from a generic computer parts shop and will give you far better and more balanced sound. If you are looking to work professionally then somewhere like Big Bear Audio will carry higher end sound cards.

You're absolutely right, I stand corrected.

Still, there are plenty of mic/headphone combos on the market, and a splitter would work as well, since the single port is in/out combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Buy from the apple refurb store, you still get the exact same warranty, i've bought most of my mac's from there, even had to return and imac and there it was not bother, had a new one in a few days, it's well worth the saving.

Here's a mac book pro for 889, it will be as new.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FB990B/A?mco=MTA4MzIzMzA

No point on students going for the rebate laptops, as education discount ranges from 7-10% already + the current ipod rebate offer.

laptophire wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, I stand corrected.

Still, there are plenty of mic/headphone combos on the market, and a splitter would work as well, since the single port is in/out combined.

Can anyone link me to a splitter on ebay.i dont know what to type in to find one..

On a side note i got 2 new qestions,a new macbook came out,It starts out at 900,however i could add 2 gigs of ram on for 80e.IS there any other differences between the macbook pro and that because thats still another 100e more.Is there a new macbook pro coming soon or something.

I was also reading that steve jobs is having a keynote conference today,and a new ipod touch is rumored.Have ye heard anything of this because that will affect the resale value of whatever ipod touch i get

I have a firewire hdd as well,what firewire cable do i need to connect to this as well,theres a few different pins that can be bought

Can anyone link me to a splitter on ebay.i dont know what to type in to find one..

On a side note i got 2 new qestions,a new macbook came out,It starts out at 900,however i could add 2 gigs of ram on for 80e.IS there any other differences between the macbook pro and that because thats still another 100e more.Is there a new macbook pro coming soon or something.

I was also reading that steve jobs is having a keynote conference today,and a new ipod touch is rumored.Have ye heard anything of this because that will affect the resale value of whatever ipod touch i get
    New iPods coming around September 8. That's why Apple is doing this rebate: to clear their old stock. Just sell the Touch before the new ones come out.

Macbook Pro is made out aluminium. The Macbook is made out of plastic. The Pro also has a firewire port and illuminated keyboard. It is also thinner and lighter than the Plasticbook. No new Macbook Pros until next year.

Do you know of a splitter and firewire cable

Do you know of a splitter and firewire cable
    I haven't a clue about the splitter, I'm afraid.

As for Firewire, it depends. What type of Firewire does the external hdd use? Firewire 400, or Firewire 800?

Firewire 400 is 6 pin and is rectangular, kinda like a USB port, just thicker. Where as Firewire 800 is 9 pin and is more squarish.

Do you know which one i would need from the pic below.sdc10419s.th.jpg

Secondly i want the wireless apple kb,is there anywhere cheaper than 63euro for it.I saw on adverts a while ago a fella was selling a bunch of them with the magic mouse for 80 but their all sold out now.

Iv decided i will keep using my microsoft wireless laser mouse 8000,however iv read that it maybe difficult to use since it might not be supported.What i need from the mouse is auto scroll,right click,left click and back.Do any of ye have any suggestions or will i have to change mouse

Oh yea and just an update of what i have bought so far.
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/16_MONITOR/03_MONITOR/productdetails/10020460/LG_W2261V-PF_LCD_display_TFT_22_-/W2261VP-PF/default.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Display-Port-Adapter-Converter-/330398731938?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item4ced4c8ea2#ht_3966wt_911

• Advertisement

Do you know which one i would need from the pic below.sdc10419s.th.jpg
    A bit blurry, but those two ports on the left look like Firewire 400. So you'll need a 9 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable. 9 pin on one end to connect to your Macbook Pro, and 6 pin on the other end to connect to your external hdd. Looks like this:
    firewire-9p-6p-ieee1394.jpg
    Secondly i want the wireless apple kb,is there anywhere cheaper than 63euro for it.I saw on adverts a while ago a fella was selling a bunch of them with the magic mouse for 80 but their all sold out now.
    Unlikely. Apple keep tight control over pricing.
    Iv decided i will keep using my microsoft wireless laser mouse 8000,however iv read that it maybe difficult to use since it might not be supported.What i need from the mouse is auto scroll,right click,left click and back.Do any of ye have any suggestions or will i have to change mouse
    I've no experience of using MS mice on a Mac, but I was under the impression MS provide Mac drivers for most of them. If all fails, you could use something like Steermouse which I use with my Logitech, but it isn't free.

Thanks for all the help so far sad professor...I was wondering when i get the system do they supply the install discs

Do you think its worth getting apple care as well
    i can get it here for 75
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Applecare-MacBook-MacBook-Air-pro-13-Free-Shipping-/170486098107?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item27b1c368bb#ht_979wt_1137

I was wondering when i get the system do they supply the install discs
    They do.
    Getting Applecare is a good idea. But having said that, under Irish law you are still entitled to get any fault fixed within a similar 2-3 year (or more) period. The main benefit of Applecare is you have a hassle-free line to Apple without having to threaten them with a small claims court. Their profit margins on it are huge, so they tend to take pretty good care of you.

But you should know that there is a certain risk in buying it from Ebay. These ultra-cheap sellers will only email you the code, not the package or the original receipt (which even they probably don't have, even if they claim they do). This means that Apple could potentially pull your coverage at any time and you'd have no absolutely comeback. So if you want peace of mind get it direct from Apple. However, I have bought from that same seller and they are okay. But since we don't where the codes come from there's still a risk. Given the saving involved it's probably worth it, though.

Btw - you can get Applecare anytime within the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ApplefyMe

I would go for the imac to be honest much better specs there for any heavy work.If you have your heart set on mobility then you should really consider investing a bit more in a 15 inch macbook pro due to the new i5 quadcore processor-Will last you much longer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I agree with above the Imac has more grunt for your buck. I just got mine on thursday. Its so shiny. Finally getting to edit a short I shot with a buddy a month back on FCP.

Just to let ye know,i went with the baseline mbp 13 with a usa keyboard
    usa wireless kb
    8 gig ipod touch

As stated earlier
    lg 22" monitor
    cheap hdmi adapter

Just thought id show you my setup

http://img686.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sdc10424t.jpg

Can any of ye recommend useful software for macs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ApplefyMe