Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilli Grows 2010

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to start a thread for those of you out there growing chillis.
    Hopefully we can get some pics up of people's progress this year. I'll be posting a few pics myself. Started 3 cayenne's off in March and they are flying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭baldbear

Great idea. I'm trying to grow chiilis for the first time. I bought a kit with cayenne, jalepenos and sweet peppers. I sowed the seeds about 3-4 weeks ago. I have them covered with the propegator lid and beside a sunny window. Was that a bit late? i havn't a clue! The seeds are appearing to grow now. :) Will each seedling produce alot? I'll get a few pictures up when they start to look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

this is my first grow also this year with cayennes and it's been a terific learning experience so far and loving the hobby.
    @baldbear: i'd say sowing the seeds 3 or 4 weeks ago might be a bit late although i'm no expert so maybe some species can flower during the winter season. At this moment in time each of my plants have about 5 chillis each but loads are just starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AirmidOg

Hi! Great to see this thread! This is my second year trying to grow chillis. Last year was a disaster I lost all the plants to a greenfly invasion. Planted my cayenne seeds back in March this year, they were a bit slow to get going but going well now. I'm determined to get some fruit out of them this year! I've attached some pictures. Any idea if this is the right size for them now? I don't really want to feed them is it essential? Also I'm not sure if you can see in the pic but one of the plants the new leaves are all nobbly and kind of buckled? I spotted some greenfly last week. But since treating the plants with a well diluted spray of fairy liquid. olive oil and water they seem to have gone. Is this the damage they've left behind? Good luck to everyone with their Chiilis this year! :)

AirmidOg wrote: »
    Hi! Great to see this thread! This is my second year trying to grow chillis. Last year was a disaster I lost all the plants to a greenfly invasion. Planted my cayenne seeds back in March this year, they were a bit slow to get going but going well now. I'm determined to get some fruit out of them this year! I've attached some pictures. Any idea if this is the right size for them now? I don't really want to feed them is it essential? Also I'm not sure if you can see in the pic but one of the plants the new leaves are all nobbly and kind of buckled? I spotted some greenfly last week. But since treating the plants with a well diluted spray of fairy liquid. olive oil and water they seem to have gone. Is this the damage they've left behind? Good luck to everyone with their Chiilis this year! :)
    Hey AirmidOg, you sowed the seeds around the same time as myself and mine are a lot taller with fruit growing so not sure. I leave mine on the windowsill and put outdoors during the day when the sun is out. I started feeding mine tomato feed once a week and it seems to be doing the job.
    Haven't noticed any greenfly, is that fairly common?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm growing Topaz, Golden Habanero and Birds eye. The Topaz are doing the best so far. I grew Cayenne last year for the first time and had a good crop from the plants.

I keep them out doors during the fine weather and inside at night. I'll post some pictures when I get around to charging the batteries.

Good thread BTW :)

• Advertisement

Here are pics of my three babies. It's hard to tell from the pics but two of them are keeling over. one of them has 6 chillies. hopefully this warm spell continues so i can leave them outdoors.

dsc00945v.jpg

6 chillis. see if you can spot them !!
    dsc00942j.jpg

dsc00944l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have you thought about putting in some bamboo for support, they'd do much better.

Have you thought about putting in some bamboo for support, they'd do much better.
    Ye im going to stop by B&Q tomorrow and pick something up. Might try to find something less thicker than bamboo. I'll probably need to tie these to whatever support i can find.

Advertisement