Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talcum powder causes cervical cancer???!!

Options
  • 01-06-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi.
    Wifey was just in with the Doctor. Conversation rolled on to my little 7 month girl having a bit of a red bum. My wife said she puts plenty of Talcum powder on to keep her bottom dry. The Doc pleads with her "not to do it anymore down there because this is a cause of cervical cancer but nobody will tell you that. It's been proven." :eek:

Anyone caught wind of this?

From: http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm
    Q. Why is talc harmful?

A. Talc is closely related to the potent carcinogen asbestos. Talc particles have been shown to cause tumors in the ovaries and lungs of cancer victims. For the last 30 years, scientists have closely scrutinized talc particles and found dangerous similarities to asbestos.

More: http://industry.bnet.com/pharma/10005813/can-talcum-powder-give-you-cancer-jj-is-about-to-find-out/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I had read somewhere that it isn't good for little ladies to have talc down there as it can cause problems with fertility later in life. Hadn't heard anything about it relating to cancer tho

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

a little dab will do ya

http://www.desitin.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've heard of talc being like asbestos alright, I would have thought it would be more a respitory risk though? You can get talc-free powder but I've found a decent coating of Vaseline keeps the nappy rash away (doesn't get rid though!)

Your doctor was wrong about one thing though, it hasn't been proven, if it had there's no way you'd be able to buy it in the supermarket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I didn't know that people still used talcum powder. With my 3 year old boy the sudocrem was an ornament on the shelf. Have twin girls now and I'm going through buckets of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Wow never heard that. My little one suffered terrible from nappy rash but I didnt use powder because of previous warnings of respiratory problems. Our doctor at the time prescribed cream after cream until it got to the stage her bum was raw and weeping so I called teh hospital and asked them what to do, she was in a lot of pain and the nurse said vaseline, the doctor had told me to use only what was prescribed so I never thought of vaseline. The nurse told me to cover her with it and if she was still bleeding in the morning to bring her in, it cleared up within a couple of days and didnt come back as long as I used the vaseline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've never used talc because I don't like the way it puffs all over the place and you inhale it. Modern nappies are good at wicking wetness away anyway and I would second the recommendation for vaseline for redness and rashes - just make sure to pat the skin dry before applying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Not really having a rash problem it was just a part of the chitchat in the surgery.
    But I was shocked to hear of the potential for harm from Johnson & Johnson Baby products. Now I'm hearing that their lotions and moisturizers could be causing her dry skin patches wtf like?!:(
    Your doctor was wrong about one thing though, it hasn't been proven, if it had there's no way you'd be able to buy it in the supermarket!
    It's BIG industry so I'm not so sure it would be that easy to bring down. Just look at the effort it has taken to deal with head shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Fatscally wrote: »
    Not really having a rash problem it was just a part of the chitchat in the surgery.
    But I was shocked to hear of the potential for harm from Johnson & Johnson Baby products. Now I'm hearing that their lotions and moisturizers could be causing her dry skin patches wtf like?!:(

It's BIG industry so I'm not so sure it would be that easy to bring down. Just look at the effort it has taken to deal with head shops.

my pediatrician told me to avoid all these things like the plague!!:eek: the soaps are lethal to newborn skin as they strip all the natural oils... the baby oils are too heavy for baby skin to absorb so thet just end up rubbing off with no effect so the drying effect is huge.
    and once a week bath is more than enough.
    she also said no fabric conditioner on his clothes as the perfumes and colours can irritate aswell.
    my little lad has dry skin from we think the milk .. just waiting for test results, but this is what we were told to avoid in the meantime

i use morhulin cream for nappy rash..it covers the rash and heals it. made from codliver oil and the lord himself couldn't break that barrier!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

ive used caldesan powder on my lady now and then when she needed it, but i use bepanthan now and find it great.

Talc causing cervical cancer has been known for 10 or so years. I hate talc never used it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Wow never heard that. My little one suffered terrible from nappy rash but I didnt use powder because of previous warnings of respiratory problems. Our doctor at the time prescribed cream after cream until it got to the stage her bum was raw and weeping so I called teh hospital and asked them what to do, she was in a lot of pain and the nurse said vaseline, the doctor had told me to use only what was prescribed so I never thought of vaseline. The nurse told me to cover her with it and if she was still bleeding in the morning to bring her in, it cleared up within a couple of days and didnt come back as long as I used the vaseline.

My lady a big blood blister and would bleed, every time she peed she was in agony, went to the gp'ss and he said years ago out of 10 it would be 2, years ago the whole nappy area would be a blood blister and bleed.

the gp gave me some cream and it cleared it after a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I was using Caldescene on Rose for the first month and found it great, but as I was worried that there might be some truth in the rumour about the talc's causing infertility/ovarian cancer etc so stopped using it and now use either the Caldescene cream or Bepanthan as required.

It does make you wonder, I do think there is no smoke without fire, but at the same time wouldn't you think if there was any danger that they would take it off the market?

I found the J&J baby bath (purple bottle) very harsh on her skin so I either use nothing in her bath or a sometimes I follow a suggestion I read on another site - oatmeal tied up in a muslin cloth -it leaves her skin lovely and soft :)

Advertisement