Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrusive thoughts

Options
  • 01-06-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues with intrusive thoughts and how you coped with them or stopped them completely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 coconutz

Hi

Im not sure I can answer the question as Im unsure as to what you mean by "intrusive thoughts"

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi cocnutz, just words or images you don't want, but keep coming back in a repetitive cycle. Thanks:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I think I get this sort of thing too, and its like, there are certain places/words etc that set it off?

I've heard just saying 'SHUT UP' in your mind helps and it did help me, but then SHUT UP turned into a word that actually brought in the thoughts. It depends though, it can help too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Hey OP,

Are the thoughts linked to a condition by any chance? Are you being treated for that condition - anxiety/depression/OCD for example. If they are really bothersome, would you try visiting a GP/counsellor etc. I would recommend seeing a GP if you've not investigated the reason for the thoughts.

If you are aware of whats causing them and want treatment, I believe cognitive behavioural therapy might help. If left untreated, they might get worse and become obsessions. I would really recommend spending the money on having yourself properly treated for this.

Best of Luck
    Lins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi Op
    I think the following article may help you. It is from a website about OCD - I am NOT saying you definitely have OCD but just have a read and maybe it will help you.

http://understanding_ocd.tripod.com/ocd_obsessions.html#EveryoneHasObsessions

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for your help,related alot to what is in that article. will be meeting a counsellor soon..

Definitely see a GP. I started out with intrusive thoughts and was 7 years before I went to see someone, ruined some of the best years of my life.
    Should have gone almost straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I think you should look into meditation. Jessica McBeth, Moon Over Water is a good book to use to learn how to start off.
    I find that a lot of the techniques used can be transferred to blocking out intrusive thoughts during the day. One I use is picturing a calm lake in my mind's eye, and every time I think a thought that I don't want to, I picture a small ripple in the water. I then try to control the ripple and focus on making that part of the lake calm again. You concentration goes into making the ripple go away, as opposed to making the thought go away.
    Creative visualisation doesn't work for everyone but it's worth trying it out at least once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

hi OP

I have experience of intrusive thoughts now and again and your expereience sounds quite similar. It it may be purely obsessive OCD. Make an appointment with a GP to get yourself checked out would be a good idea. There are self help methods you can use but that falls under the medical advice rule so best just to visit a doctor. Hope this helps.:)

Hi, thanks, good to know I'm not alone in this, will try the meditation too and see how it goes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Don't let these intrusive thoughts control you. You control these intrusions.
    ---- Easier said than done

- Write down these thoughts. Then "kill" them off one by one.
    E.g. you are reminding oneself of a glass, you broke last month. Say to yourself that was 31 days ago. It was only two Euros. Replace it with today and tomorrow.
    - Is there anything that stops these thoughts from sleeping. Have you old diaries or fotos? Bring them to the cellar.
    - If something really tragic happened in your life, then that can really haunt/follow you.
    Eg witnessing a fatal car accident. It is great if you can talk about it.
    - Once you are in control of above points, then throw that list away.
    - You should start thinking of TODAY. Watch the news. Meet people.
    - Listen to the song "DOWNTOWN" sung by Petula Clark. "--Don't hang around and let your problems surround you..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I've read that almost everyone experiences intrusive thoughts, the difference being that most people don't worry about them and let them go, a minority worry about them and can't let them go. It sounds too simple to be true, but the answer really is just to stop worrying.:)

Hi Op, firstly i would say try not to worry, intrusive thoughts are normal, the way i see it is we are all human beings and we are emotional creatures everyone at some point in life will experience some depression and anxieties, sometimes like any other illness in the body it can progress into something more serious but if you take a good look at what is going on in your life and piece together the reasons why its happening you will relieve yourself from it... try and realize that you are not your thoughts, they are only thoughts, behind thoughts there are feelings, why are you feeling intense at the moment are you stressed in anyway this will make your mind spin, try slow down maybe do some breathing techniques try and take in the real present moment and not the moment on your head that is thinking like mad, slow it down get to sit with yourself and feel safe doing it,

If you want to understand it more maybe see a therapist... When i was 19 i experienced awful anxiety and panic and depression, i thought i was damaged goods forever then as i had an aunt who became a schizophrenic when she was 19 and i thought oh im going that way too! it is very very scary to experience mental health issues but believe me you can over come it, i personally believe that creating a safe place to express your emotions and to get to know them is the way to go... if your always around people who are not connected to themselves emotionally then this could become a norm... look at your life and see what is making you feel like this the answers will come about so you can change it. All the best.... xxoo

Thanks every1 for your help, some great advice:)yeah snooki it is a bit scary,, it is good to think of them as just thoughts as sometimes I get them so often I nearly start to believe they're a part of me, thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Get a lot of this myself going over old issues and rehashing them in my head,bad break ups,stupid things I did in the past and the like and usually different things trigger each particular one.
    One particular break up really bothered me for a long time and then one day I realised that if this was the most annoying thing in my head then life is pretty good.Still get intrusive thoughts but just remind myself that I am lucky to have so little to worry about presently that my brain has time to go over these things !!

Advertisement