Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procrastination - the thief of time?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any issues with procrastination? I seriously spend half my life putting things off until tomorrow using any excuse, but alas, tomorrow never comes!!

I know its easy to say "just do it" but its hard to get the motivation, so maybe thats my problem?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some layabout and have achieved quite alot in my life so far for my age (I'm 26) - but I know I could do 10 times more!!

So basically what I'm asking is anyone any tips for getting my motivation back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

By a timer a little square one and set it for 15 mins and just do things 15 mins at a time.
    Have a look at www.flylady.net it's about getting a routine so you get the house done and then have time to do other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

If procrastination was an olympic event.......I wouldn't even bother entering!

I'm in the same boat as you OP.
    Unfortunately I haven't found an out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In the same boat for years (Abotu 20) but changing now.

I've started trying to figure out why I put stuff off.

REason 1. Fear

Reason 2: avoiding responsibility.

Reason 1 Fear: I look into this more now- what do I fear? annoying someone with a phone call, gettng something wrong - usually irrational fears. I try and detach feeling from my actions so the task isn't loaded with worry or fear.

I have a list now that I stick to - I don't make another til the thigns are done on it.

I also, when I go to bed at night, picture myself waking up in the morning wide awake and getting things done and really loading the picture with imagery of me doign well. When I wake in the morning, I look at my list and get into a good frame of mind to do them by asking myself some questiosn..... how great am I going to feel when this list is done? How responsible will I feel? How proud will I be? Simple things but good reinforcers.

When I do a task I take time to give myself a small congratulations.

The Feeling Good Handbook has a great section on Procrastination.
    People procrastinate for different reasons - it goes through that and has some good practical ways on how to get over it.

Advertisement