Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new retainer?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

About 2 years ago the dentist told me to wear my retainer for another few months, so I did and then stopped. As soon as I stopped I noticed my teeth spacing out again, so I kept wearing it every so often. I have completely stopped wearing it because I am just not arsed anymore. My teeth are still spacing out. I am just wondering is there anyway I can get a built in retainer? The one I was using was the plastic ones, cant stand them ones! Just don't want my teeth goin back to the way they were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Talk to your denist about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hey OP,

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation myself. I usually wear mine twice or three times a week and, judging by the minor pain in my mouth each time I put it in, my teeth do space out. Unfortunately I've changed dentists quite a few times and all they say is to keep wearing it. I agree with Thaedydal's suggestion to talk to your dentist. It's not that much of an issue for me but I do wish I could have a proper once of treatment instead of constantly wearing this thing.

Best of luck, OP!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

When I get my braces off at xmas, i am getting the retainers onto the behind of my teeth and a night plastic one so there is something there alright, maybe ask over in the dental forum, they are great for info there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

My orthodontist told me to wear my retainer every night for the rest of my life. It is the plastic one so it is not too uncomfortable. A minor pain to keep it clean etc, but much less of a pain than having my teeth move.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i got a lot of work done and have a permanent metal retainer on back of lower teeth. never notice it and it does the trick. not sure if they can do that on top teeth but maybe on the dentist forum they would know & then have a chat to your own dentist on it.
    def can see why you want it sorted tho its a pain if the teeth move after goin to all the trouble of getting the work done in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have no personal experience myself, but anyone I know who has had braces in the last 6 years and had them removed has had a thin metal bar glued to the back of their teeth to try and keep the teeth in place. They still have to wear a retainer at night of course. It might be an idea to speak to your dentist about it all. Those who post in the Dental forum might be able to help more.

Best of luck with it :)

Advertisement