Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheep shearing.

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would be grateful if I could get advice from anyone here who knows about shearing sheep.
    I’m thinking of buying a electric shears, I’ve no experience shearing myself but years of catching them and watching someone else doing it, so was hoping to buy a shears practice on our own flock before offering my services to others. There is no sheep shearing course here in Ireland, none that I can find any way.
    So here are my questions;
    Is it possible to buy a good second hand shears?
    Should I buy a new shears, how much would this cost?
    Think I could pick it up myself or should I try and do a course.

Thanks for any advice given

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

try to get to portlaoise this weekend if you can, and I sure there will be many there who give you a few pointers

teagasc used to run shearing courses.

I would try to buy new especially if you intend doing any amount of work, my neighbour bought a used shears, and it gave a lot of touble , had to get the motor re wound and new drive cable as

ring mullinahone co-op or cormac in tuam for prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks snowman707, will try and head along to portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

I'd advise going new as well, unless you know a lot about the shears and are experienced shearing yourself a second hand machine may be more trouble than it worth. I can fix mine myself but not everyone can.

Also an experienced shearer makes it look a hell of a lot easier than it really is, even though you have watched for years he will be doing stuff to help him control the sheep that you have never noticed. Most shearers as well as using their hands to hold the sheep will also be using their knees and even their feet and toes to help keep her off balance. You need to make the sheep think she can't get up and then she won't even try and will lie pretty quiet.

When you get the sheers it may be a good idea to get a sheerer you know to call round a give you a hand and a few tips for the first 10 or so to get you started. Also be careful not to let one of them kick the hand-piece out of your hand, better let her up and catch her again than let the comb get broke, their pretty expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Are there many people going to the shearing this weekend?
    Was up there today the organisers have put a huge amount of work into it and are expecting a big crowd with all the fields laid out for carparking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If its money you want to make, then you will definitely work for it at shearing. Its a heavy job, very much weather dependent too. You need to have a good back and be reasonably fit. You're probably too late to make much money from it this year - by the time you have your shears bought and you have learned how to use it good enough to go out obn hire, it may be too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭jfh

well Initially it's money i want to save, see how i get on with my own and take it from there, yeah it's probably one of the jobs that requires top level of fitness but i've seen guys twice my age at it, they've got the technique tho.we'll see..

Advertisement