Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price negotiations - Your thoughts!

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

(1stly for the recored, I love this forum, and have learned alot from it, so this is not an attack!)

I'm finding myself getting a little irretated by people selling their second hand Airsoft Gear on this forum. I think its very silly for people to post an item for sale along with an Asking Price, but are not willing to negotiate!

The whole idea in buying second hand gear is to obtain a bargain, Im not saying everything is over priced as I am aware often asking prices are a bargain price.

But for people not to negotiate at all, strikes me as arogant and I find it frustrating. If you dont wish to barter, then dont sell it second hand, its like any product in the world, airsoft equipment is no different!

My suggestion to people when selling items (airsoft or not) is to not be emotionally attached, offer a price and negotiate the best price possible, but enjopy the barterring!

Let me know your thoughts, but dont come in swinging for a fight please!:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Well if the seller is offering the lowest he will go whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

in general its sellers choice, if they make clear there not open to negotiation then sorry you can not make them do it, if the seller post he is not interested in trades or negotiation then don't get pissed off when he does not entertain you as its his item to sell

on the specific item you just throw your toys out of the pram about, the vfc hk416 was at a very fair price in my eyes when you factor in its a vfc ( excellent build quality excellent finish ), its becoming semi rare and only really avaliable second hand ( vfc hk416 know only do the uramax authorized version with there horrible terms and condition trades on the side )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I can see where your coming from, but I'd have to disagree.

Granted, some people have absolutely no concept of depreciation, and cant understand why the gun they bought new for 350 quid 6 months ago isn't worth €300 now, but thats a different thread :)

But if someone is selling their stuff, and dont want to move on the price, I'd say thats their right. One of two things will happen - someone will buy it at the asking price, because the item has a perceived value to them, or the seller will get no offers and have to either reduce the price, or remove it from sale.

*shrug*

Its their loss if it doesnt sell....I wouldnt sweat it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is more for the biz forum but anyways.

If someone has something they dont want they logically sell it. They may not be in any rush to shift it and such can wait for somebody who is willing to pay what they deem acceptable. Just because its second hand doesnt mean you have a right to succeed in haggling. Try if you like, but its their stuff, they can sell it as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

Puding wrote: »
    in general its sellers choice, if they make clear there not open to negotiation then sorry you can not make them do it, if the seller post he is not interested in trades or negotiation then don't get pissed off when he does not entertain you as its his item to sell

on the specific item you just throw your toys out of the pram about, the vfc hk416 was at a very fair price in my eyes when you factor in its a vfc ( excellent build quality excellent finish ), its becoming semi rare and only really avaliable second hand ( vfc hk416 know only do the uramax authorized version with there horrible terms and condition trades on the side )
    Puding wrote: »
    on the specific item you just throw your toys out of the pram about, the vfc hk416 was at a very fair price in my eyes)
    " - Hardly (threw) my toys!;)

Im not just talking about that item, Ive noticed it in the Airsoft part of the forum more so than other sections people wont negotiate.
    (why I posted it here!):rolleyes:

Im not saying everything is over priced, or that people should sell the items for half nothing (I know they are expensive new), but why, in Airsoft especially people wont negotiate!

I do get annoyed less, when people sate that they wont negotiate from the outset, and I undersatnd not trading - (Ive no issue with this!!!)

But I feel I dont want to do business with people if they dont want to haggle on second hand items!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

McGilla wrote: »
    The whole idea in buying second hand gear is to obtain a bargain, Im not saying everything is over priced as I am aware often asking prices are a bargain price.

I'm sorry but you are wide of the mark on what trading in second-hand gear is. Yes you can pick up bargains; No, second-hand does not mean "bargain basement, ass-lubed prices" by default.

Selling second-hand gear does not equate to you payint pitance for something worth a fortune. If you get it, great! But these are not businesses selling surplus kit they've bought for a song in bulk, these are joe soap users looking for a fair price (or what they think is a fair price) on items that they have paid for out of their own pockets. They are selling it on for a variety of reasons and whilst they are free to set their prices and you are free to offer them what you think it's worth, you are in no position to demand that they sell it at an uber-cheap price for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

" - Hardly (threw) my toys!

Im not just talking about that item, Ive noticed it in the Airsoft part of the forum more so than other sections people wont negotiate.
    (why I posted it here!)

you posted that and then this so it was fair to draw a little bit of a link between the two :p

but i agree with you there are people who will not negotiate, sometimes this is because they need that value of money for something else, sometimes its because they have not idea of the second hand value of something, this is very common as tony said some people in airsoft can not get there head round depreciation, also there are a lot of cases of people buying over prices items in the first place and trying to recop there cost

even with all this it is still there item to sell they can put what ever price they want on it, if its over prices just don;t buy it

Lemming wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are wide of the mark on what trading in second-hand gear is. Yes you can pick up bargains; No, second-hand does not mean "bargain basement, ass-lubed prices" by default.

Selling second-hand gear does not equate to you payint pitance for something worth a fortune. If you get it, great! But these are not businesses selling surplus kit they've bought for a song in bulk, these are joe soap users looking for a fair price (or what they think is a fair price) on items that they have paid for out of their own pockets. They are selling it on for a variety of reasons and whilst they are free to set their prices and you are free to offer them what you think it's worth, you are in no position to demand that they sell it at an uber-cheap price for you.

Clearly Mis-understanding me, Im not complaining about price!

Im asking why people dont really negotiate in Airsoft sales as much as other products, and also trying to find if people find it as frustrating as me. - (so it is not me who is wide of the mark!)

Also, I said "bargain" as in good value - not half nothing!
    (so it is not me who is wide of the mark!

And please read original post, Im not looking for an internet based fight! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

OP - I agree with each of the replies above.
    I've both bought and sold quite a few items in boards. I picked up a long version of that vfc 416 a while back for the same price (I offered asking) and considered myself to be getting a bargain.
    I've accepted lower offers on some gear when selling, and refused where I'd set the price at a low and reasonable one. It's sellers prerogative to set terms of sale - be it price, post/no-post, sell to over 18 only - whatever.
    It's buyers right not to offer if they don't like this.
    The idea that you can try to pillory someone into doing something they don't want to do is a bit of a joke to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Clearly Mis-understanding me, Im not complaining about price!

Im asking why people dont really negotiate in Airsoft sales as much as other products, and also trying to find if people find it as frustrating as me. - (so it is not me who is wide of the mark!)

Also, I said "bargain" as in good value - not half nothing!
    (so it is not me who is wide of the mark!

And please read original post, Im not looking for an internet based fight! :P

Would it make you feel better if the user in question increased the asking price by thirty or forty quid? Sometimes people just are not willing to let an item go for less than x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

hmmm im all about the haggle i love to do it ask any one who knows me
    power ****y dont let me in anymore as i snagged so much owa them ;)

but my grievance about adverts is and it really annoys the bollix owa me is when
    someone puts a item up for sale for e.g 150 and X arrives in with a straight in
    no kissing offer of 80 for it and then get freeeked cause ya wont knock 70 notes off the price thats what bugs me

if someone puts a price on it you have to assume its a fair one presuming that they are not extracting urine from the sale, go and make a fair offer and haggle away but dont wade in and upset the apple tart because ya can

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

What if they decide to post a "no bullsh1t, this is the price" kinda price? are they to be forced to barter?
    If i ever sell anything on there, I very rarely accept offers lower than the asking price, and i have never been left holding anything ive put up for sale. This is because i decide on a realistic price and thats that, no lower.

Would you prefer if i wanted to sell, say a Glock for 100quid, should i advertise this at 130 quid to to feed your need to avoid the asking price? no? why?

This forum isnt your local bargain basement and what irritates me are people who rock in with no contribution to the airsoft forum as a whole and live in the adverts section expecting people to hand over their kit at stupid prices.
    We should have something like a 100 post limit to avoid these kinda parasites on the adverts forum.

moggser wrote: »
    hmmm im all about the haggle i love to do it ask any one who knows me
    power ****y dont let me in anymore as i snagged so much owa them ;)

but my grievance about adverts is and it really annoys the bollix owa me is when
    someone puts a item up for sale for e.g 150 and X arrives in with a straight in
    no kissing offer of 80 for it and then get freeeked cause ya wont knock 70 notes off the price thats what bugs me

if someone puts a price on it you have to assume its a fair one presuming that they are not extracting urine from the sale, go and make a fair offer and haggle away but dont wade in and upset the apple tart because ya can

Thats exactly what Im talking about!:D

I dont want to be able to offer people 40% of the asking price, (and piss people off) but a willingness to do SOME negotiation makes it a bit easier to deal with people.

Maybe you need to drop by your local market, fairyhouse maybe, because it seems this is how you treat the adverts forum.

I dont mind a bit of haggling, but when someone sets out the price and states "thats the price" then dont get upset coz ya cant haggle, you were told in the begining.

PS, i just saw your post in the 416 thread, it went pretty cheap if you ask me. its in good nick, its the rare trade marked version. your loss.

Masada wrote: »
    What if they decide to post a "no bullsh1t, this is the price" kinda price? are they to be forced to barter?
    If i ever sell anything on there, I very rarely accept offers lower than the asking price, and i have never been left holding anything ive put up for sale. This is because i decide on a realistic price and thats that, no lower.

Would you prefer if i wanted to sell, say a Glock for 100quid, should i advertise this at 130 quid to to feed your need to avoid the asking price? no? why?

This forum isnt your local bargain basement and what irritates me are people who rock in with no contribution to the airsoft forum as a whole and live in the adverts section expecting people to hand over their kit at stupid prices.
    We should have something like a 100 post limit to avoid these kinda parasites on the adverts forum.

So Im not allowed make offers because Im not here long enough?
    ok Hitler!:D - and then the Airsoft community will really do well, with no new members! ( I dont like the tone in a forum that is not welcome to new members, forums are places where experianced people can share knowledge with nnew players etc.)

Im not looking to financially rape people, and I have no problem with people refusing offers (especially rediculous ones) refusing offers is part of barterring, but not even concidering offers i find frustrating.

I can see Ive upset a few regular Airsoft sellers - :cool:

Well in response to your argument, You would have to contribute to the forum itself, instead of just living in the adverts looking for bargains, as it appears you do from your posts.

Were you get the "not welcome to new players" thing i don't know, as restricting the adverts doesn't impact people who are active on the whole forum, only those who scavenge in the adverts with no interest or purpose in the main forum. the only people it restricts are "New Chancers".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mcgilla I understand your frustration I do. At times I see stuff majorly over priced and its a trend on our own adverts for airsoft and for adverts.ie.

I'll go out and explain why I set the thread the way I did.

I've been on this board for over two years and I sell stuff frequently here, and have used adverts.ie for many more years. I know how it works and how threads can get irritating very fast.

I put the item up at the lowest price I would accept. The idea was to literally stop haggling so my thread could be clear and concise and I could jsut deal with genuine interest.

I could have put it up for €300 which isnt exactly a fair price, then barter my way down a little, maybe make a bit extra, maybe break at €250. I just wanted to cut out that time it takes.

By all means, you could have posted with an offer lower, I wouldnt have been a dick about it. I would have just re-iterated I wouldnt go below €250. By all means if I got no offers within a week or two I'd probably say

" OK guys willing to listen to offers"

As stated above some people think the adverts forum is a bargain basement for guns. Its not always the case. If you want to sell a dboys or something then yes, your going to have to drop your price to below €90 to make a genuine reasonable sale.

However something like the rifle I was offering, just isnt available anymore afaik. Models that were released last year had VFc trades, so although its a rifle with fair use, its a high demand original, with a perfect body.

It is hard to fight any corner in adverts really on the grounds of overpriced etc, because well there isnt a ruling enforcing poor pricing, and there isnt anyone with experience to enforce it.

It usually boils down to the thread dwindling a afew pages back until the OP drops their price or takes a lower asking.

Its nothing to do with big big headed or arrogant. I might be slightly inclinded to stick to my guns( lol) when it comes to certain stuff because I know its worth, I'm around long enough to know whats worth what.

I think you may have missed the plot with buying second hand being a bargain. Yes clones, accesories etc might be. But when your talking about a high end high value product, there very nature in quality, longevity and performance entitles it to demand a higer price.

If you have problems with a pricing or a listing, dont post on thread, you very well could have got yourself a ban on my thread if Lem was still at the helm.

If I see an outragous thread or a thread where theres someone acting the bollox I just report the post and outline why I feel its in the wrong. But as stated above theres no mod here with experience in that area so unless its outragously priced or someone pulling an obvious scam, its really just down to the community as a whole.

There have been a number of threads in the past where more experienced in the know players have commented on a thread informing the op that there evaluation may be slightly skewed. They can either take it and get angry or take it like I have a few times and accept the help.

Most of my feedback from people has been that I completely undervalue items, but I just want rid of things I no longer have the love for.

That is a brilliant idea and cant believe it wasnt set in from the get go. Besides the fact I've rarely any idea who I'm selling to until I meet them face to face, if someone comes out to me to buy a gun, i'm not going into checking them to see if they are a valid airsofter.

Likely hood is I could have possibly sold a gun to someone who is using it for poor intensions, I just dont know. But then again retailers go through this all the time. However the adverts is alot more accessible.

I've had to resort to posting bold guidelines in my thread along with making sure in pms about age and they understand what they are buying.

I dont want to sell to someone who uses it like a dope, then have the guards knocking on my door, worse still I dont want some new player buying a gun, having it break due to their misuse and knock on my door shouting the odds.

The last sale bonanza I had , I had four teenagers knock on the door on bikes looknig to pick up my stuff, told them to **** off and they just stood outside the gaf shouting.

Also, I sold a JG G36C like nearly two years ago at this stage, and I STILL have the buyer ringing me asking me to pay for the damage he caused with **** bbs. Under the impression that because I used to work in a shop I am accountable for it.

Sold alot of stuff on adverts and bought alot mostly smooth, but I'd be lying if I said I didnt get alittle worried before every sale I make incase im putting a gun into smoe dickheads hands : /

At the end of the day if I'm making a sale through adverts I'm taking people at face value, giving the benefit of the doubt, at truthfully I just want the money for what I'm selling, I couldnt give two ****s if they play airsoft at all really, its not my business to check, and its not worth the hassle in second hand private dealings.

PS, i just saw your post in the 416 thread, it went pretty cheap if you ask me. its in good nick, its the rare trade marked version. your loss.

I didnt ask you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Let me know your thoughts, but dont come in swinging for a fight please!:cool:
    I didnt ask you!

Yes you did you asked all on this forum for there thoughts

• Advertisement

I didnt ask you!

Keep that sorta attitude up I guarantee you, ya wont get past 40 posts pal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

DeBurca wrote: »
    Yes you did you asked all on this forum for there thoughts

I think somebody isn't happy they're losing the debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

keyboardwarriorsolo.jpg

Leftyflip wrote: »
    I think somebody isn't happy they're losing the debate...

Everytime I make a long post enough to count as a scripture, and people like Tony, Masada, Puding get involved, doesnt make it a debate automatically...

It does however make

pure_pwnage

Taking n00bs to sch00l since 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Someone buy me poxxy ak will yez :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Someone buy me poxxy ak m4 will yez :mad:

Fixed that for you. Sam doesn't call AKs poxxy. Who are you and what have you done with Sam, you imposter!

Actually there was guy who posted in adverts recently, a real bargain, one of these unused guns with a ton of stuff, being sold at half the retail price, great stuff, all for 100 bob or so.

In comes johny 3 posts, and offers 50... "offer 50" he says.

"Go f*ck yourself" or something like that was the response, I tell ye I smiled at that one.

Banned of course, but worth it IMO.

Lemming wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. Sam doesn't call AKs poxxy. Who are you and what have you done with Sam, you imposter!

In fairness it is *literally contaminated with small pox, hence the low low price :D

*not literally, it is cheap though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

*not literally, it is cheap though...

are ya open for negotiations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People can sell their items for whatever they want. If they don't want to accept your offer, move on. As mentioned, it's their loss if nobody buys it.

Do you know what's even more annoying than people putting things up for silly high amounts? People making stupidly low offers. Which I have seen a lot more of and cause much more grief than high prices.

We thought of the minimum post count idea at the start. The problem with that is it will more than likely result in people spamming the forum (and other ones) just to build up their post count.

Anyway, locking this thread as it's really pointless and not going anywhere.

OP - if the price isn't for you, as I said, move on - People have no obligation to lower their price if they don't want to. (And too right may I add)

And less of the attitude towards other posters as you won't last here very long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement