Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried CBT? Cognitive Behavior Therapy?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been feeling so depressed and anxious and self conscious. I've lost touch with a lot of friends cos I really feel I have nothing to say to them. As in I feel like I've no joy or anything fun to talk about with them. I did have one friend left, but I think I've pushed her away now too. She wanted to meet up with me and said she was calling to my house to see me, but I pretended to be out. I don't talk or socialize with neighbours either and I feel they think I'm a total recluse, or else just really rude?

Dealing with people is very hard for me now. I feel like they are looking at me and judging me. I've made a lot of bad decisions in the past, as a teenager and in my early twenties (I'm in my early 30's now) and am constantly going over things I should have done, should have said. People I've hurt with my behavior. I've become very introverted. I feel people who know me, hate me for mistakes I've made. Do people really forget how dumb I was? Or do they really do hate me? Either way I'm not giving anyone a chance as I just avoid everyone.

Its not the way I used to be. I was always a happy easygoing, friendly person. But now I just feel I'm getting swallowed up in my own misery and self hate. And my shyness is killing me. I'd love to be able to just call up to a friend or neighbour for a cup of tea, but the last time I tried that I was so fidgety and kept going red and looking around. I don't know if my friend noticed, but I just couldn't wait to get out of there and get back to my house.

Woudl CBT therapy help me out? I long to be the friendly outgoing person I used to be.

Thanks for reading and sorry its long...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi OP

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time.

I went to CBT for anxiety disorder and it helped me a lot. You should talk to your GP about it, they can refer you, they also may suggest medication.

For a taste of CBT, have a look at moodgym.org

hi OP

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time.

I went to CBT for anxiety disorder and it helped me a lot. You should talk to your GP about it, they can refer you, they also may suggest medication.

For a taste of CBT, have a look at moodgym.org

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. And that link I'll check it out.

Yeah I'm gonna go to my doc and ask them about CBT. It just seems I've gotten steadily worse over the past few years. I am aware of it and just kept hoping this feeling would go away. My doc did think I was depressed and put me on prozac a couple years back, but it did nothing for me, so I stopped taking it after a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 polliepp

Hi OP,

Sorry you are having such a bad time - it truly sounds like you are suffering! And perhaps what you are describing maybe depression of some sort which impacts people in different ways. Social with drawal however is a common symtom of depression (not that I am in way an expert)

While I have never personally tried CBT I know people who have and some found it helpful. What I would suggest is that you seek counselling of some sort. CBT is a specific form of counselling but other forms might be helpful too not just CBT.

As others suggested first stop should be with your GP. They might be able to refer you to counselling. Make sure you find someone you are comfortable with and who has the appropriate qualifications. Check who they are registered with.

Some employers have a counselling service also so maybe check that out is that is an option.

There is nothing to be ashamed of here OP, don't beat yourself up. Getting help is not a sign of weakness but rather strength. Don't waste another day suffering alone - go to your GP and look into counselling. You won't regret it!

I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 coconutz

Hey

Sorry to hear your not feeling so good :(

This is something I too have struggled with in the past, and it does rear its head every now and then.

This time 4 years ago, I couldnt so much as make eye contact with people, let alone have an actual conversation due to very low self esteem.

I went to counselling for a good while, part of it did involve CBT, and well to say it has helped to change my life would be an understatement. Today, I am confident in myself, I have made some very good friends, and am starting a degree in Psych in Sept and I cant wait. My life has u-turned.

Personally I couldnt recommend it more, I gave it a bash, I had nothing to lose, and it has worked for me

Best Wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

OP, I went to CBT. Can't reccomend it enough, it made me feel like a new person.

• Advertisement

Hey there,

It's great that you are going to talk to someone about it, it is the first step in getting better.

I had a depressive episode with symptoms not unlike those you describe a couple of years back. I did some CBT and found it to be really, really useful. My doctor also referred me to a psychiatrist who put me on medication for a year to give me some space to get on top of things. The combination of these two helped get me back on track.

It might help confiding in a couple of friends or family members. When I told people how I was feeling most of them had no idea I was feeling that way. I got nothing but support from those I reached out to.

Try to keep your chin up, now you have started taking the right steps things should start getting better for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

I have been feeling so depressed and anxious and self conscious. I've lost touch with a lot of friends cos I really feel I have nothing to say to them. As in I feel like I've no joy or anything fun to talk about with them. I did have one friend left, but I think I've pushed her away now too. She wanted to meet up with me and said she was calling to my house to see me, but I pretended to be out. I don't talk or socialize with neighbours either and I feel they think I'm a total recluse, or else just really rude?

Dealing with people is very hard for me now. I feel like they are looking at me and judging me. I've made a lot of bad decisions in the past, as a teenager and in my early twenties (I'm in my early 30's now) and am constantly going over things I should have done, should have said. People I've hurt with my behavior. I've become very introverted. I feel people who know me, hate me for mistakes I've made. Do people really forget how dumb I was? Or do they really do hate me? Either way I'm not giving anyone a chance as I just avoid everyone.

Its not the way I used to be. I was always a happy easygoing, friendly person. But now I just feel I'm getting swallowed up in my own misery and self hate. And my shyness is killing me. I'd love to be able to just call up to a friend or neighbour for a cup of tea, but the last time I tried that I was so fidgety and kept going red and looking around. I don't know if my friend noticed, but I just couldn't wait to get out of there and get back to my house.

Woudl CBT therapy help me out? I long to be the friendly outgoing person I used to be.

Thanks for reading and sorry its long...

CBT will definitely help, in my opinion anyway. Sure what have you got to loose? If it doesnt work it doesnt work, so what. But if it does you'll have aquired a set of skills that you'll use throughout your life. This book is top class and very very easy to follow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-Over-Mood-Change-Changing/dp/0898621283/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275412326&sr=1-1

Did I mention it was easy to follow:). Have fun.

Go for it OP. I have had depressive episodes in the past and CBT is very useful. I also think that opening up to someone, anyone who understands is helpful. Honestly I know, I know what its like to feel very low. And talking really helps. The book "CBT for dummies" isvery good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

I am going to go against the majority of people on this thread and say that CBT although it can help with Social Anxiety, is not the best treatment out there. In my opion "Emotional Freedom Technique" works better at eliminating the root causes of Social Anxiety. I'm speaking from experience but obviously many people swear by CBT but for me EFT beats CBT hands down. OP, check this link to a good EFT program that although it involves hard work on your part, is so worth it longterm and a small fraction of what you will pay to see a CBT practitioner.

http://www.social-anxiety-solutions.com/social-confidence-system.html

Good luck, i hope you conquer your SA and get your life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Hi op, I had CBT a few year's ago but i honestly cant remember if it helped me or not but you should try it anyway it could help i guess it helped me reconise some thing's and get over them i actually made a short film about it kind its in my youtube linky thing there in my signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

Stu wrote: »
    I am going to go against the majority of people on this thread and say that CBT although it can help with Social Anxiety, is not the best treatment out there. In my opion "Emotional Freedom Technique" works better at eliminating the root causes of Social Anxiety. I'm speaking from experience but obviously many people swear by CBT but for me EFT beats CBT hands down. OP, check this link to a good EFT program that although it involves hard work on your part, is so worth it longterm and a small fraction of what you will pay to see a CBT practitioner.

http://www.social-anxiety-solutions.com/social-confidence-system.html

Good luck, i hope you conquer your SA and get your life back.

EFT is good also. But it doesnt have to be a case of one or the other. I think a combination of CBT and the emotional stuff works best. Its important to feel your feelings, sure, but its also important to root out toxic thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

CBT does work but do not attempt to do it yourself with stuff off the internet, get your dr to refer you to a licensed practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

As thaed said go to to practioneer, there are plenty around.

I did some of it and plan to go back and do some more (finances- what can I say).
    The more you apply it the better it'll work for you, just one thing it can be tough especially at the start but it's well worth sticking with, the you won't believe the results.

Advertisement