Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Solo?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What are you opinions on investigating alone? I know you won't cover as much ground etc. but would you do investigate a castle/location alone?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I wouldn't ever go solo... it's far too dangerous investigating a location alone. Never mind the spiritual dangers, but what about the physical ones? You could easily break something while going around what is possibly a ruin or derelict place and could just as easily be knocked out so you wouldn't be able to call for help. Not only that, but for all practical purposes you have no witness, so how is anyone going to believe your claims?

A second person to collaborate your story is always good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You could have a hundred people with you it wouldnt matter. Id go it alone if you dont feel the need to be part of a "group", many people seem to be leaving groups at the moment and going it alone. Too much politics and crap in the community

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I personally do not agree with going alone.

1. You won't have anyone to back up any claims you make.

2. I agree with above, what happens if you get hurt and can't call for help? I feel it's too risky and I wouldn't advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have never heard of anyone injuring themselves on a paranormal investigation while alone. It really depends on the location and your own common sense and like being out hillwalking or fishing, always tell someone where you are and when you plan to get back and carry a phone. No reason in my opinion to not investigate on your own.

Also no matter how many people are there to back your claims up some will manufacture events and no one will believe you anyway. Id have no problem investigating on my own as I spend alot of time checking out abandoned buildings and settlments on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i started off on me todd - just make sure you dont go trespassing and always keep your wits about you. lots of people prefer investigating on their own, plus as grimes mentioned, you can avoid a lot of the politiking that goes on with groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I think this is entirely a personal choice and, if someone chooses to go solo, it should be fine as long as they're aware of the potential hazards and they take suitable precautions.

I especially agree with Grimes saying that you should tell someone exactly where you're going - and how long you expect to be away as well.

But... maybe I'm being a bit sexist now, but I reckon a girl/woman should never go investigating alone. Not because I think they're incapable - quite the reverse actually - but because they're just more vulnerable in general and more likely to be viewed as 'easy prey' (even if they're stalwarts in actuality) by any dodgy sorts possibly lurking somewhere.

But maybe nothing negative would ever even happen at all though? I could be completely wrong about this. Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the thought of my girlfriend or one of my sisters heading out to dilapidated structures and/or remote areas in the dark on their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I do agree with the above though that women should be more vigilant if going it alone, incase there is any unsavoury characters around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Grimes wrote: »
    I have never heard of anyone injuring themselves on a paranormal investigation while alone. It really depends on the location and your own common sense and like being out hillwalking or fishing, always tell someone where you are and when you plan to get back and carry a phone. No reason in my opinion to not investigate on your own.

Also no matter how many people are there to back your claims up some will manufacture events and no one will believe you anyway. Id have no problem investigating on my own as I spend alot of time checking out abandoned buildings and settlments on my own.
    i have just come back fom a holiday in a 400 year old cottage in haworth,yorkshire,this was the home of the bronte sisters,it was also the place that triggered my first visions,i went back to see if anything would appear to me,nothing did but the cottage felt if it had always been a happy place to live in,i even went into the grave yard at night and opend up to see if enything happened,still nothing did,i drank in the black bull pub[this is the pub that has been named as the most ghost ridden pub in yorkshire,after the tv program it had to close its doors as a bed and breakfast as no one would stay in it, now its under new management and has had a up grade, its now reopening for people to stay,i have booked a room for three days in mid december[at the time of the candlelit walks] the room he has alloted me is the one that has caused most of the problems it overlooks the grave yard,i have also booked another old cottage in the village for the month of feb,any advice for me anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

getz wrote: »
    I have just come back fom a holiday in a 400 year old cottage in Haworth, Yorkshire. This was the home of the Bronte sisters. It was also the place that triggered my first visions. I went back to see if anything would appear to me. Nothing did, but the cottage felt as if it had always been a happy place to live in. I even went into the graveyard at night and opened up to see if anything happened - still nothing did.

That's pretty cool. What did you do to open yourself up? A general visualisation and focus sort of thing? I suppose the fact that it had been a happy place makes it less likely to have any ghostly stuff that really jumps out at you. Earthbound spirits - the ones that really go out of their way to haunt a place - are usually earthbound as a result of a traumatic or difficult death, so I doubt the Bronte sisters are still hanging around.
    getz wrote: »
    I drank in the Black Bull pub [this is the pub that has been named as the most ghost-ridden pub in Yorkshire, after the TV programme] - it had to close its doors as a bed and breakfast as no-one would stay in it. Now it's under new management and has had an upgrade; it's now re-opening for people to stay. I have booked a room for three days in mid-December [at the time of the candlelit walks]. The room he has allotted me is the one that has caused most of the problems. It overlooks the graveyard. I have also booked another old cottage in the village for the month of Feb - any advice for me anyone ?

Interesting. Maybe it'd be easier to 'pick up' something in the pub when it's unoccupied? You wouldn't really notice anything spooky when it's a hub of activity. Then again, a person is more likely to imagine things in a quiet building on their own. It's a double-edged sword.

If I were you, I'd set a camcorder or a digital recorder, or both, to record for the entire night you're in the room. With the recorder, you could ask some questions aloud like, "Is there anyone here?" -- pause for several seconds -- and "Can you please tell me your name?" -- pause -- , etc. See if you've picked up anything on those devices the following morning. Whatever about the possibility of you experiencing something there on a personal level, it'd be good to have some sort of tangible evidence above all.

You could also get a cross (or whatever object you prefer) and draw an outline of it on paper before you go to bed, leaving the cross/chosen object within the outline you've drawn of it. Have a look the next morning to see if the cross/object has shifted outside of the outline.

I'd do the same activities when staying in the old cottage in February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

to open up i just clear my mind i am well able to do this as i have trained and still teach trad- martial arts [for over 40years] the visions i often see only show themselves to me ,normally not as a ghost like apparition but as a clear figure,the sightings i see ,like the one in wicklow of the two young girls in 2009 i could tell the colour of their hair eyes and the dresses they had on,when i went back to the area in 2010,the family it was a old building that had once been the family home,came to me to tell me about their families history and the story of both the girls who went missing and were never found as far a howarth, i do not expect to see any of the bronte family,except that branwell bronte was always drinking in the black bull,in fact they still have the chair he sat in on show,haworth has a very tragic passed, 40% of children never lived over 5 years,and the average life span was 27 years,most of the village drinking water ran through the grave yard and they would have to wipe the scum of it before drinking it,when irishman the rev patrick bronte first took his family to haworth , he was so shocked he campaigned to improve life in the village. the ghosts i expect to see will not be violent but just lost, but in the parsonage museum i feel great sadness, something i never expected as mostly it had been a happy home

Advertisement