Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Business

Options
  • 31-05-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi!! want to do business at dcu and just wondering does anybody have any info on this course or the european business courses!!
    Are they interesting and which languages would be best for emplyability, european languages or chinese or Japanese??
    Any info at all would be appreciated!!!:D
    Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Liopleurodon

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    Hi!! want to do business at dcu and just wondering does anybody have any info on this course or the european business courses!!
    Are they interesting and which languages would be best for emplyability, european languages or chinese or Japanese??
    Any info at all would be appreciated!!!:D
    Thanks!!!

To save me writing everything again, here's a post of mine from last year about European Business:

I can definately recommend European Business. Warning: I'm bored at work, this may be long :pac: but hope it helps!

Firstly, it's a double degree. You do four years, two in DCU and two abroad - two years abroad is something rare as is, but here you study for the same length as any other course and walk away with two degrees. One from DCU and one from whichever country you choose to study in.

The course and DCU are apart of the International Partnership of Business Schools, an organisation which brings together some of the best business schools/courses worldwide in a double degree course. At present there are ten members;
    Ireland: DCU

England: Lancaster
    France: CESEM in Reims (Very well known there)
    Spain: ICADE in Madrid (Very well known there)
    USA: NEU in Boston (Well known there)
    Germany: ESB Reutlingen (Very well known there)
    Italy: UCSC Piacenza
    Mexico: Puebla
    Netherlands: ASIS Breda
    Poland: Krakow

So what does this mean? It's possible to do a double degree in DCU with Spain, France, Germany and the USA, other universities have other options, but every year there's an event called the International Business Weekend, all these universities come together in a resort, with the alumni, and well... Celebrate (~800 students + 200 alumni for 3 days..!) and network. So think of the IPBS and IBWE as a huge possibility to network, which can come in handy... Trust me!

Ontop of this you have two periods of paid work placement, one in Ireland and one abroad in the second half of your course. Not only fills the coffers before you go abroad, but gives you work experience in two countries and in your main foreign langauge.

As for how hard it is, it's like any other course - you're good at what you like, and need to work at where you're bad. Ontop of that, yes maybe the two years abroad may be hard, firstly it's all through another langauge and secondly your weekly hours jump up from 15 hours a week in DCU to over 30 hours a week in most universities, your workload increases and exams become that little bit more serious, however in fairness looking at what I wrote above, is it not worth it?

Quick summary: Two degrees, fluency in a foreign language (that an erasmus year wouldn't give), two paid work placements in two countries, an insane party/networking weekend and a tight nit alumni/student networking community!

Hope you enjoyed my gigantic essay, and hope it helps you decide! :)

Edit: If you decide not to do 4th year abroad, you do not get two degrees. Not sure about CESEM, but 3rd year is very, very hard in Germany while you spend the second semester + summer working, and 4th year gets quite relaxed. It makes no sense, at least for the German course, to go through this punishment then go home and forego the second degree.

Edit2: To sweeten the deal, you get two grants from the EU. ;)

As for employability, European Business students are fairing extremely well at the moment: Two degrees and fluency in a foreign language is extremely attractive to employers.

A past student two years ahead of me applied for a job, with two degrees they didn't care about how good or how bad her results were.

European Business students also come out of their course with the most practical experience compared to other business courses in DCU.

Ultimately if you're vying up IBLJ / C with EB (whatever link / language you may want) then it's more so a personal choice, the employability of a person doesn't depend solely on any single language (especially if they haven't reached an adequate level of fluency).

It increases your employability in Asia somewhat, yes. But I know European Business & German students who are now working at home or in the USA. There Chinese or Japanese won't be that helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Thanks a million, that's so helpful!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Liopleurodon

No problem, any other questions just go ahead and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Actually there is one more question . . .fees.
    As there are currently no fees to be paid to dcu then are there no fees to be paid to the french college for the 2 years you spend there??(apart from accomodation, food, etc)

And if fees did come back in and it cost 7 grand a year to study in dcu, would ya then only pay 7 grand a year to the french college?
    Just wonderin because the fees in the french/german/spanish colleges could be 60 grand a year and i could not afforrd that!!

Sorry to bother you with this, Ya mightnt have a clue but any info would be appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaz20

DCU would be your home college, essentially you are on an exchange type program, you register with DCU, pay whatever fees you have to pay to DCU and sign up only one module " year abroad ". So no, you will never have to pay the huge fees to the other college. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 RosiePosie10

Hi there, I'm strongly considering Global Business (USA) in DCU, but have a few questions and would really appreciate if someone could answer them for me. First off, is your visa taken care of to enable you to study in America, and does it only last for the 2 year period or how does that work? Also, would anybody who's done/doing the course recommend it, and what advantages/disadvantages does the course have (in comparison to the likes of international business in UCD for example)? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shannonwel

No problem, any other questions just go ahead and ask.

Hi!

Just wondering about the two EU grants you mentioned here.. How do they work/ how much is given?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Which is the better degree, international business or global business?

Advertisement