Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is this

Options
  • 31-05-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Saw this on a ditch ouside Fethard. The leaves underneath were dying. Its a cobweb of some sort but what made it?? anyone guess??

28052010001.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

See here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055923121 could be something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not my field but I think its web of Ermine Moth caterpillars. Mothman will know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Not my field but I think its web of Ermine Moth caterpillars. Mothman will know more.
    Yes, and if my plant identification is right, ie Hawthorn then this is the work of Orchard ermine
    http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=941

The leaves have been consumed by the caterpillars.
    It won't kill the hedge but neither will it grow much!

It looked like Hawthorn to me too but my distribution maps don't show us with any Orchid Ermines. Are they under-reported, rare, or new to us? (My books are a bit old!)

It looked like Hawthorn to me too but my distribution maps don't show us with any Orchid Ermines. Are they under-reported, rare, or new to us? (My books are a bit old!)
    There are a number of species in this genus in Ireland. As adults they are very similar and some can only be reliably identified from the food plant and even then it may not be conclusive. Most moth recording in Ireland is via light traps and the adults are generally ignored.
    So for an accurate determination, we need to know the foodplant.....not always easy because there may be none left! or if mixed hedge what is given as foodplant is what is left behind by caterpillars so may be wrong, also the feeding style whether gregarious or individuals, how they pupate, again whether gregarious or as individuals and where they pupate. So there may need to be many pieces of info that need to be drawn together to get a positive ID.

They are micro species and Orchard Ermine is mapped
    http://www.mothsireland.com/micro/images/425.gif

The determination where Hawthorn is involved is straight forward because Orchard ermine is the only species that uses this foodplant. Many of the dots in the above map may well be adult records that recorders have made a best guess, so may not be totally accurate, but the impression that the species is reasonably widespread is probably accurate. In general micro species of moths are under recorded

• Advertisement

Excellent! That's my something new learnt for today already!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

wow i'm impressed. thanks a million for solving this riddle.....now if you could tell me whats the meaning of life... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 QI

Mothman, can you advise on a way to treat this? It has taken over a hawthorn hedge here in Kildare.

Afraid not. The caterpillars are at or near pupating, so feeding will stop soon and the hedge will be likely to regenerate

Here is advice from Teagasc advisor which was forwarded to me today. I agree with it all.
    They rarely kill the trees and they reflush after the attack has passed. Some older hedges or poor growth hedges can get a secondary infection from other pests/diseases.

There is really no control measures as the infestation will pass as soon as the caterpillars pupate. The use of insecticides over large areas is not advisable as there would be too much collateral damage to beneficial insects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 QI

Thanks for that info. The thing is that the hedge is close to a house and the caterpillars moved from the hedge onto the wall of the house and onto other plants and flowerpots, hence the search for a way to exterminate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i cycled past one this eve just outside enniscorthy .it was huge on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

wow, another BBC Springwatch echo.
    They had a picture of a worse example of this and were having a competition to guess what was causing the webs.

Advertisement