Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pieris japonica mountain fire

Options
  • 31-05-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭

Bought pieris japonica mountain fire, planted in ericaceous compost in a container, plant was doing well

Was feeding other plants with tomato food and applied some to Pieries. Now Pieries leaves have gone from red/copper to green. Leaves look healthy and glossy but unfortunately have lost their true colour. I think the plant food may have changed the container's acidity to alkaline or neutral. Should I do nothing and wait for improvement (waited two weeks at this stage and no change to original colour) or should I try and restore acidity to container. I could be wrong, but was cold tea used years ago for changing to an acid soil

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Pieris are naturally green, it's only the young foliage that is red or coppery. You'll have to wait 'til next Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

+1 Bmaxi, Forest flame are only pink in spring, we have about 5 of them, the new growth were brilliant pink about 6 weeks ago, not a sign of pink now..........but next spring.................

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bodicea

My pieris is only just really recovering from that last night of frost we had. It was practically glowing and had oodles of flowers too....I could have cried.

Now it's all algow again, but not as vibrant, and looks lovely with all the yellow of the wild gorse behind it. By God I'll be ready for the frost next year, even if it means giving it my duvet.

Advertisement