Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thematic Soloing: "Extension"

Options
  • 31-05-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

In this post I am going to share with you the concept of “extension”, an approach to improvisation I learnt from jazz trombonist and composer Hal Crook, that I believe is a powerful technique that anybody can easily use in the effort learning to solo in a more structured and consequential way.

If you read my previous post, you are already familiar with the way I practice “imitation”. In short, imitation is the repetition of the same melodic curve and rhythmic idea throughout a given number of bars. In this context, extension is meant to create more interest in the lines you are playing adding a new idea to your previous line.

For example if your line is A, B, C, D, the extended idea could be A, B, C, D, E, F, “E, F” being the extended segment. This new segment can even be added before the old line i.e., E, F, A, B, C, D.

So, how can you practice extension?

Here’s a very simple method:

1. Choose an accompaniment (metronome, sequencer etc…)

2. Choose an easy harmonic setting (one single chord, a II V I progression, your favorite tune)

3. Play a simple line (4-5 notes) and repeat its melodic curve with the same rhythm 2-3 times

4. Rest for a couple of bars

5. Repeat the same idea AND add a new (extended) line to it.

6. Rest

7. Repeat the whole process practicing for about 1 hour

8. Practise also adding the extended line BEFORE the old line.

Relax, get a cup of coffee, then go back to your guitar and play the same progression just for the fun of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

franamico wrote: »
    In this post I am going to share with you the concept of “extension”, an approach to improvisation I learnt from jazz trombonist and composer Hal Crook, that I believe is a powerful technique that anybody can easily use in the effort learning to solo in a more structured and consequential way.

If you read my previous post, you are already familiar with the way I practice “imitation”. In short, imitation is the repetition of the same melodic curve and rhythmic idea throughout a given number of bars. In this context, extension is meant to create more interest in the lines you are playing adding a new idea to your previous line.

For example if your line is A, B, C, D, the extended idea could be A, B, C, D, E, F, “E, F” being the extended segment. This new segment can even be added before the old line i.e., E, F, A, B, C, D.

So, how can you practice extension?

Here’s a very simple method:

1. Choose an accompaniment (metronome, sequencer etc…)

2. Choose an easy harmonic setting (one single chord, a II V I progression, your favorite tune)

3. Play a simple line (4-5 notes) and repeat its melodic curve with the same rhythm 2-3 times

4. Rest for a couple of bars

5. Repeat the same idea AND add a new (extended) line to it.

6. Rest

7. Repeat the whole process practicing for about 1 hour

8. Practise also adding the extended line BEFORE the old line.

Relax, get a cup of coffee, then go back to your guitar and play the same progression just for the fun of it.

These little essays you are writing are very concise and well written.
    I would love to employ all of this.
    The problem I have is that so much is happening when you go to solo that it is very hard to sit back mentally and plan. What you write is good though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Nice ideas, thanks for sharing them with us! I've always felt the need to structure my practice a little better, this is certainly going on the big list of things i should do to improve my playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Desmo wrote: »
    These little essays you are writing are very concise and well written.
    I would love to employ all of this.
    The problem I have is that so much is happening when you go to solo that it is very hard to sit back mentally and plan. What you write is good though!!

Thank you for that Desmo...my pleasure.

Please note that these are only "strategies" to get the most out of your practicing time.
    Performing is a different story. It must come from state of mind of total relaxation and no thinking.
    Have a listen to my post on effortless mastery if you are looking for some ideas on how to practice relaxation.

Good luck!!

Advertisement