Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing my van

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello all
    ow that my beloved campervan has been recovered, I finally need to get it imported, registered, taxed and insured.

The background to this is I bought the van in Germany just before leaving there last year, did a trip in it with the family and came to Ireland, all still on German plates and insurance. Then the insurance lapsed, and it was de-registered in Germany. It has been in storage ever since, apart from a small adventure last week when it suffered an attempted grand theft campervan.
    I've been on to the revenue, who told me I need the following
    1. the Original Log Book is required.
    2. Completed form VRT 3/4/5 whichever is appropriate. These can be found by logging onto
    www.revenue.ie <http://www.revenue.ie>. or can be completed on your arrival at the Vehicle Registration Office.
    3. The Vehicle.
    4. PPS Number and Photo ID.
    5. Payment. Please note Cash and Credit cards are not accepted as payment. Other methods
    are Bank Draft, Postal Order, Personal Cheque or Laser up to and including €1500.
    Please note vehicles over 30 years old are regarded as vintage and carry a VRT charge of €50.00.
    They also state that
    Since 1st July 2008 the CO2 Emissions of the vehicle must be supplied when the vehicle is presented for payment of VRT. This information is generally on the V5/Log Book of the vehicle or by the manufacture of the vehicle.

And also that VRT etc should be paid within 24 hours of bringing the vehicle in.

So I have some questions. Most of the above is pretty clear, but
    - which form do I need for a 1991 campervan?
    - how do I get around the CO2 emissions declaration, since I don't have that info on the log book or anywhere else?
    - the fact that the vehicle has been in the country for months, but unused, does anyone think this might raise problems with the revenue?

And finally, value... I'm printing out a couple of ads from Donedeal which would seem to put a value of 6,000 or so on it. Will they accept this, do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

Ah, ****e.

Dolmen tell me that since I don't have a normal car insured anywhere, I have to pay 635 euro to insure the camper. The fact that our family car is a company car means we don't get the cheaper rate.

Any ideas on this one?

I'm rapidly being turned off campervan ownership in Ireland.

Sorry to just come on looking for help... but does anyone have an alternative to Dolmen for the insurance?

650 notes is a bit steep for a 6 grand camper that's barely being used. And there's no refund if I sell the camper after a couple of months.

edit: just found peasant's 'Basic Info' thread. question answered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

glad im not the only one round here talking to themselves :o
    not sure but if you were living outside ireland for some time can you not bring back your car/van vrt/vat free,as i said not sure but may be worth checking

Advertisement