Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Quotes Wrong...

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

What happens if you get a quote wrong in an English essay? Obviously not the whole thing, but like "walk" instead of "amble" or like an extra "the" thrown in or something. Are you deducted marks?
    Would it be better to put it in even though you know it could be a little off, or leave it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

zam wrote: »
    What happens if you get a quote wrong in an English essay? Obviously not the whole thing, but like "walk" instead of "amble" or like an extra "the" thrown in or something. Are you deducted marks?
    Would it be better to put it in even though you know it could be a little off, or leave it out?
    Some don't seem to notice particularly if it's a very long quote. However if you're getting every single quote wrong they may deduct some marks (But not a lot, mind you).

Generally, things like that go unnoticed as long as you make it sound authentic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think you'll be ok, especially for things like the comparative where there are loads of texts, but I would try and get the main King Lear ones perfectly right as the examiners probably know these off by heart!

A similar question - can you integrate a quote into a sentence even if it messes up the possession? For example, take the quote "I see her walking now, away from me so hurriedly my reason must allow" (Raglan Road, Kavanagh). Could I integrate it into the sentence so it reads like this
    'Kavanagh sorrowfully sees her "walking now, away from me so hurriedly my reason must allow"' (the possession is messed up, if you know what I mean). Is that ok, or should I say something like 'Kavanagh stated ".."?

I think you'll be ok, especially for things like the comparative where there are loads of texts, but I would try and get the main King Lear ones perfectly right as the examiners probably know these off by heart!

A similar question - can you integrate a quote into a sentence even if it messes up the possession? For example, take the quote "I see her walking now, away from me so hurriedly my reason must allow" (Raglan Road, Kavanagh). Could I integrate it into the sentence so it reads like this
    'Kavanagh sorrowfully sees her "walking now, away from me so hurriedly my reason must allow"' (the possession is messed up, if you know what I mean). Is that ok, or should I say something like 'Kavanagh stated ".."?
    That's perfectly fine, just put the changed pronouns into brackets to signify that isn't exactly as in the poem. According to my teacher, it's very impressive to see in an exam. I do it all the time. In fact I rarely quote any other way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's perfectly fine, just put the changed pronouns into brackets to signify that isn't exactly as in the poem. According to my teacher, it's very impressive to see in an exam. I do it all the time. In fact I rarely quote any other way.

Thanks for the reply. So do you mean writing it like this?

'Kavanagh sorrowfully sees her "walking now, away from (him) so hurriedly (his) reason must allow"'

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

If you get a famous and concise quote wrong, the overall impression isn't brilliant. With regard to longer, more intricate quotes, you have a bit of rope. As long as it's clear that you weren't trying to invent a quote to suit your argument, and that you were making a stab at getting it right, you should get some credit.

However - just because this minor margin for error exists, don't go into the exam feeling that it is perfectly fine to get quotes wrong. Do try your best to be accurate.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. So do you mean writing it like this?

'Kavanagh sorrowfully sees her "walking now, away from (him) so hurriedly (his) reason must allow"'
    Perfect.

Advertisement