Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Public Transport (formally CorkBusRoutes)

Options
  • 31-05-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

As a former student of UCC I thought this might be useful to post here.

I've decided to set up a website for my bus routes which as you may or not know are on facebook.

Its in its enfancy but I hope to put a lot more useful travel info on it.

http://www.corkpublictransport.com/

Check it out, I hope its useful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

As a former student of UCC I thought this might be useful to post here.

I've decided to set up a website for my bus routes which as you may or not know are on facebook.

Its in its enfancy but I hope to put a lot more useful travel info on it.

http://www.corkpublictransport.com/

Check it out, I hope its useful!

This is a great idea but the site design is pretty poor. It is extremely difficult to access any city route after 14 (because the menus don't scroll). You can use the down arrows so the page scrolls while you have the menu selected but maybe there's a better way???

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I have to agree, nice enough idea (with the routes on google maps) but the design is awful. I presume you're not a developer, as its built with joomla. Might I suggest if you insist on going with joomla that you look around for a nicer template (theres a lot out there) and drop the google ad's at least until you start getting a lot of traffic as unless they're used minimally they make a site look spammy and tacky.

Theres also no need for the embedded google search, or the footer showing the code validators. And a dropdown menu for the commuter routes is not a good choice as there's far too many items in it which takes the dropdown further than the screens length. The homepage text should look a lot better too, but I reckon a nicer template and a lot of the sites aesthetic problems would be solved.

Also - should the site ever be a success i'd imagine Bus eireann would just copy the google maps feature onto their site and your niche is gone.

Edit - Sorry to be so critical but its better you know the issues so you can improve the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Thanks for the feedback!

Its early days, and I'm not a developer alright ;) continuously learning here!

I do hope alright to change the template, I just started last week, so just wanted to get something basic working to see what its like.

I don't intend to make a profit, its more of an experient/project.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

In that case i'd recommend getting rid of the ads completely. Take a look at http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_bestoftemplate/Itemid,46/ for some sample nice templates, find one you think would work well, and try and include some images (such as bus eireann busses for example) to brighten it up. Also, links to the timetables etc might provide some good content for you.

Advertisement