Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Pill, mood swings and weight gains

Options
  • 30-05-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice about switching pills. I first went on the pill (minulet) when I was seventeen because it was necessary for other medication. As far as I can remember there was no problems there and I stopped when my other medication was due.

I started again just over eight months ago and since then from early on I noticed I was putting on a lot of weight. At the moment I'm about two stone heavier than what I was. I've heard you're supposed to lose weight you put on by the pill over time but I've also heard the pill and weight gain are unrelated. So I put it down to not eating great, but to be honest I never really did. Also, when I went for the six month check up my doctor said my blood pressure had increased quite a lot but it was still in the ok range so I got another six month perscription. This worried me for a bit, but he said blood pressure levels change and not to stress about it.

I've tried to lose some weight sucessfully but what's stressing me out more is the mood swings. I don't know for sure if they're related because it's only recently been very noticeable. I can turn at any moment, particularly if I'm drunk, but not only when I'm drunk either (not sure if drink is the problem but I've never been like that when I drank before).

I'm hestitant about changing because I think minulet is a reliable pill, and better the devil you know and all that. But then again I don't see any major harm in asking my GP to change just to see.

Any insight would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP! I'm on Microlite the past 3 years and I've had absolutely no problems reliability wisw with it. I did notice when I started on it that I did gain weight and I think very few people who go on to a pill *don't* gain. From what I've read it's that the pill increases the bodies appetite so as a result you eat more and gain weight. I haven't taken a break from my pill as of yet but I'm trying to lose weight and I've almost lost a stone through eating healthily and exercising more. I never really had mood siwing so I can't help you with that really (sorry), but if you switch I do recommend Microlite, my doctor told me its the 'lightest' of all the pills on the market in Ireland

Advertisement