Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Apps and Tips

Options
  • 30-05-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Alot of us are getting to know our new iPad.Thought be a good idea for people to post there favourite app or cool tricks you have found for your iPad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

cool idea for a thread.

found this page on the apple site:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/

it's a list of html 5 websites that work with ipad.

For apps I haven't gotten that many yet but here are some I think are good:

Wired Magazine
    A digital version of their June edition. Really cool going through the pages just like a real magazine. You can play videos and interact with certain pages. The picture quality is really great as well

Weather HD
    Nice looking weather app.

iBooks
    Only free books on it so far but could be great when it gets some more stuff.

Others I haven't tried yet but want to:
    Guardian Eyewitness
    Popular Science+
    SketchBook Pro
    Zen Bound 2
    Kindle

and pac-man as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I've got the Kindle app and I like it. Purchased books show in a iBooks-esque style, there is pretty easy connection to the Kindle section of Amazon and I have no issues thus far with formatting or such when reading.

Wired app is good but somewhat ovepriced imho. They are on record as saying that pricing is something they will be looking at as time moves on.

I can't help feeling that a lot of apps are deliberately overpriced, so that us early adopters, looking to play with our new toy, will pay through the nose. I'll not be going too mad with purchases just yet, I'd put money on many prices dropping as the rollout of the ipad continues and scales of economy kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've gone a little app crazy :(

The Elements - very cool, but pricy
    Marvel Comics - excellent, but I always preferred DC to Marvel
    Mirrors Edge - one of the best iPad games
    Angry Birds - never had this on the phone, good fun
    Civilization Revolution - ipad is perfect medium for a civ game
    BBC News - haven't used it much
    History Maps - okay
    NatGeo Atlas HD - meh. When you zoom down any distance you have download more maps, and road level maps aren't available for offline use
    IMDB - nice
    Kindle - very nice. I have a kindle itself but it's nice seeing the full colour covers. Think I'll probably still use the kindle for most of my reading though
    Wired - excellent layout and design
    Scrabble - cool but I can't get the magic bluetooth tile rack mode to work cos Bluetooth on one of our phones just isn't working for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Got mine on Saturday. Very very awesome.
    Seeing as it's yet all about the novelty, I've been enjoying downloading the most show-offable apps - pleasantly surprised to find that 95% of these were available in Lite (i.e. free versions) - and then showing them off
    e.g. Virtuoso piano, Digi-drummer, Labyrinth, Air hockey: I'd never buy these but they're nice to mess about with for a coupla minutes.

I did buy Elements and while I agree the price is a bit rich it is a thing of real beauty. A bit of a must have at the moment.
    The Guardian Eyewitness one is stunning - the resolution of the photos is just jaw-dropping. The whole device is gonna be great for showing the holiday snaps to indulgent friends.
    Some nice apps for kids:
    Alice in Wonderland (get the free one) - the interactivity isn't much more impressive than a pop-up book BUT it shows the potential for presenting books in new ways.
    Toy Story storybook - read along, or record your voice reading it aloud for later playback, or click a button to colour in the pictures - surprisingly polished, surprisingly free.

Skype and Eirtext - still both at iPhone stage but hopefully will update soon - remain pretty essential. The pixellation of resized iPhone apps doesnt look great to my eyes but I do look forward to things like Bloom HD, assuming they'll update it.

Anyone buy that Star app that they've been using on the demo models? Wasn't impressed with it on Sat but I think that was because the PC World Lisburn staff were busy pestering me about extra insurance at the time so I couldnt appreciate it. Have Pocket Universe on iPhone 3G but the lack of a compass kinda ruins it - would really like to hold a device up to the sky and be told the names of the stars!

What else? Oh yeah, that Adope Ideas app - really nice for rough sketching - like the way you can change the line thickness. Will maybe someday buy Brushes or something like it.

I do plan to buy one of the apps to link wirelessly to the iPhone camera, but obviously the lack of camera wasnt a deal breaker for me.
    Anyone bought a radio app? Is that one near the top the charts really the best one?

Looking forward to discovering uses I havent thought of yet for it - Cooking, Art appreciation, Drawing, Guitar-playing, no longer being too bothered by the GF wanting to watch e.g. the Eurovision because I've got the iPad on my lap and it's waaaaaaaaay better than watching TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

Have the IPAD about a month. Just back from a week in eurodisney, a pleasure using the IPAD over there (with an unlocked mifi on a vodafone PAYG sim for 99c a day for data)and no need for a laptop.
    I think there are two main categories of apps, the first that you use on a day to day / regular basis and those apps that are used to show off the the IPAD.

Apps I use on on a day to day basis:
    AccuWeather - Weather App
    Instapaper Pro - Use this to read any articles I come accross the web in RSS feeds or casual browsing that I don't have the tiome to read until later.
    Kindle App - Ipad has replaced by kindle for reading, so app is just as handy to rread books.
    iBooks - self explanatory
    Todo - IPAD version of the Iphone app
    Plants V Zombies HD - addictive game
    AppAdvice - verty tidy app that presents stories on Ipad and Iphone in an easy to read format.
    Desktop - Connect to PC's and macs via VNC and RD
    Logmein - Connect to any logmeinpc.
    Zinio - Have a couple of digital magazine subscriptions with zinio so handy for viewing on the go.
    Newsrack - Great RSS reader
    Wikipanion - wikipedia client
    Flight Contro HD - Ipad version of iphone game
    IMDB -has already been detailed above.
    Streetfighter 4 - its actually the Iphone version of the game x 2 but the IPAD is perfect medium for playing the game

App that I use for showing off the IPAD or use once in a while
    Kayak flights - seach for cheap flights
    GoSkyWatch - Use to display the location of stars at night.
    Ebay - very rarely use ebay but its a top app
    Yahoo Entertainment - US centric but good app
    Epicurios - Good recipe app
    Weather Bug - Another wather app with different map overlays that can be applied.
    Skygrid - App that shopws the most popular stories of the day.
    BBC News - self explanatory
    Planets - App that displays planet information
    Real Racing HD - starting to get into this game.
    Wolfram alpha - very intereeesting concept but of little every day use to me.

Built in apps are also used constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Goodreader - indespensible pdf viewer (a steal at 79c)
    Early Edition - Lovely RSS reader (3.99)
    Toodledo (GTD stuff and todo app - free if you have iPhone version)
    Crosswords (benefits hugely from the extra screen real estate - again free upgrade from iPhone version)
    Mashable - (free front end for the site - nice but not amazing)
    Wikipanion - (free wiki viewer thats just awesome)
    SunVox (can't remember price - its again, a free HD upgrade, tracker music app that was in dire need of a big screen on the iPhone)
    Evernote - (free and great UI coming from iPhone)
    Pages - (Apples Word app - its okay - functional)
    Numbers - (Apples Excel app - a complete joke - utterly unusable at this point - desperate need of more functionality and critically XLS EXPORT!)
    Air Video Free (good for streaming video content [various formats] on servers/laptops etc)
    Dictionary.com (free - good dictionary/ thesaurus
    Sketchbook Pro - (stunning sketch app, eons better than brushes)
    Korg Electribe (7.99 gorgeous & faithful reproduction of Korgs electribe drum machine)
    Sobees for Facebook (free - until facebook get their act together and update their app this one provides an interesting and fresh way to get around facebook.

Myriad others that have gone on and offf...

Touch Hockey
    Easy Task
    Sundry Notes
    Memo Connect
    Popplet Lite
    Beatwave
    iRelax
    Rj Voyager
    Backgrounds
    Solitare
    iMahjong
    Lcars Reader
    FryPaper
    NYT Editors Choice
    Guardian Eyewitness
    Epicurious
    NPR app (great)

iBooks and Kindle are used also all the time. Use free software called Calibre to convert your existing books to epub and sideload on to iBooks via iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I got The Elements app. The pictures look unbelievable, really stunning.

Also on guardian eyewitness the photos look really great.
    I got SketchBook Pro as well which is really cool.

It's surprising how many apps are available on the irish itunes store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

At the risk of being a little highbrow for a moment, the free Shakespeare app is well worth downloading. (considering that there are ones on iTunes from 7.99 to 13.99 with the same content.) All his plays and one or two that may be by him are on it. I've had it on my iPhone and dipped into it from time to time but the iPad version is stunning.

Advertisement