Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit rating

Options
  • 30-05-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    new to site. Was wondering would anyone be able to offer some advice in relation to credit rating. When I was younger I missed 5 consective months on bank loan - little hours and lack of maturity! Now, older, I have loan from credit union I always pay. Coupled with this I have bill phone, sky bills etc that I always pay immeadiately - direct debit. I applied aib for credit card about year ago, they refused and now last week again. I realise that these missed payments are the reason as I have a full-time job with the civil service. How can I improve my credit rating if I cannot get anything to do this? Not even an overdraft. Thinking perhaps change banks :confused: Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

confu wrote: »
    Hi all,
    new to site. Was wondering would anyone be able to offer some advice in relation to credit rating. When I was younger I missed 5 consective months on bank loan - little hours and lack of maturity! Now, older, I have loan from credit union I always pay. Coupled with this I have bill phone, sky bills etc that I always pay immeadiately - direct debit. I applied aib for credit card about year ago, they refused and now last week again. I realise that these missed payments are the reason as I have a full-time job with the civil service. How can I improve my credit rating if I cannot get anything to do this? Not even an overdraft. Thinking perhaps change banks :confused: Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Changing banks won't help if it's coming from the ICB. See here for getting your credit report.

With regards "improving" your credit history, the first thing is that your bills don't matter. Although they may report to the ICB if you default on your payments, they don't report that "you have been good"! It is possibly the same with your credit union loan - you'll see from your credit report as to whether your credit union sends the ICB information.

Other than that, you may just have to wait until the missed payments fall off your history. This will happen after 5 years after the conclusion of the loan has been reported to the ICB.

To be honest, it's hard to give specific advice until you get your credit report and you know exactly what you are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wait 5 years til your last missed payment and then you'll be ok.

Advertisement