Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy signal on some Sky+ channels

Options
  • 30-05-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have Sky multiroom, sky+ in one room and a normal sky box in the other. On the sky+ box, some of the music channels have just stopped working. Every time I switch to them I get the blue screen for a few seconds, and then "No satellite signal is being received. Please unplug your Sky box at the wall for 1 minute." I've tried that and it didn't help. Sometimes I get patches of sound or mashed up picture for a few seconds, but never anything watchable. Some of the channels I'm having problems with are Smash Hits, The Box, 4music, Kerrang, Chart Show TV and The Vault. All of the MTV channels are working grand, and the problem only started this weekend. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

have you got a dect phone nearby?

have you swapped the boxes around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

My Movie channels in HD are breaking up a lot, I've checked the inputs and everything looks fine, the signal strenght is high, anyone else having the same problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

There's a cordless phone in the next room, and the boxes haven't been swapped around.

if you swap the boxes around do you get the same results?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

I haven't tried swapping anything around yet, but it seems like a fairly complicated job for someone as satelite-illiterate as me. Plus the fam would kill me if they were forced to endure an evening without tv! I'll try and get around to it soon but in the meantime is there any sort of workaround?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

the only work around, is to establish the root of the problem.

1) does the problem occur when the phone is unplugged and switched off.

2) swap the box's around.
    Does the problem still occur with one partitlar box, or one particular room.

It's a step by step trouble shooting process.

There's no quick fix, if you don't know what to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Toadpenguin, I'm having similar issues with quite a few other channels and nothing has changed in terms of the phone, box set up etc.

Just spent a hour of my life that I'll never get back on to Sky's support team where aside from switching my sky box on and off at the wall and checking some of the settings they were useless. Have a service call booked for next week which they tried to charge me for but I refused to pay it saying that I wasn't getting the service for which I'm paying now so there's no way I'm paying for a service call. They backed down immediately and said they wouldn't charge me.

Will let you know what comes out of it but if a few people are experiencing issues hopefully its a problem at Sky's end as opposed to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

@ Caribs

If you have a dect phone you should try what pa990 suggested. Dect phone interference on some channels is a known issue, while unplugging your dect may not fix your problem it only takes a couple of minutes to check and could save a call out if it does fix the problem.
    pa990 wrote: »
    the only work around, is to establish the root of the problem.

1) does the problem occur when the phone is unplugged and switched off.

2) swap the box's around.
    Does the problem still occur with one partitlar box, or one particular room.

It's a step by step trouble shooting process.

There's no quick fix, if you don't know what to fix

Excuse my ignorance but whats a dect phone? :o

Caribs wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but whats a dect phone? :o

a mobile home phone.

• Advertisement

Gave the advice by pa990 a go including moving the boxes around and unplugging the phone but didn't make a difference.

Looks like I'll give the service call a go on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Wow,

I jsut plugged out my DECT phone and Channel 4 is now working. Thanks guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

200motels wrote: »
    My Movie channels in HD are breaking up a lot, I've checked the inputs and everything looks fine, the signal strenght is high, anyone else having the same problems?

I got the installer out and the problem was the LNB he put a new one on the dish and it's perfect now.

Had the Sky service guy out today and same result as 200motels. Took a few seconds checking out a few settings and then went to the dish, replaced the LNB and everything back to normal.

He reckoned they have a built in redundancy which when aligned to our wonderful climate that gives gale force winds, sub zero temps with blinding sun wears them out even quicker.

Whether true or not I'm sorted and a happy camper again. :cool:

Advertisement