Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressive episodes

Options
  • 30-05-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had my first real depressive episode when I was 18 doing my Leaving Certificate. Not a very opportune time to have one. I was an A1 student and put myself under too much pressure and it all culminated in that one month period. I didnt know what was wrong with me at the time. I just kept ploughing on and got an above average Leaving Cert but far below my capability. When I get depressed now I tend to have dreams of the Leaving Cert. Im repeating, again even though I never repeated, and Im saying in the dream - here Im 34 shouldnt I be moving on from this. Why am I still here.
    Since then Ive had a few depressive episodes, most notably on a J1 in the USA, and its fair to say I have a problem with depression and having one now. I know that in the long run Il be OK. I know that Il spend only 10% or less of my life being depressed. Im on medication now permanently. Just one tablet every day and I need it. Any time I try and come off I get depressed. Probably my system is dependent on it but theres not a lot I can do about that. Ive tried. Ive also done yoga, meditation, counselling, group therapy, I read a lot of self help books, I'm very open about it to friends and family and am blessed with some tremendous people like that.
    I saw an interesting programme the other day Paul Downes - A Bipolar expidition. One theory is that a serious period of stress can trigger the first depressive episode. After the episode is more easily triggered. that the brain is kindled somehow. I really understand what they talk about there.
    Does anyone identify with this. Anyone any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For some people managing thier moods, stressed and coping with depression is a daily matter. Some days it's not something you think about other days it's hard to get out of the bed. If you can spot yourself on a downward slide and take preventative measures so that you aviod it or that your down down doesn't last long it goes a long way to helpding you manage the condition.

Lots of people have conditions which they have to manage and live with and not let it take over thier life, have you tried going to group meetings like aware.ie to get support from other people who have to live thier life in a simular way?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes. I have gone to those meetings and they are really helpful. Would recommend them to anyone. I felt myself really slipping the other day but Im OK now. I suppose I learn a little bit each time. I am very vulnerable to depression. One problem is Ive never met anyone who I really has had this problem in the same way as me. Im not bipolar Im pretty sure of that. I have a good job though I would be better at it if I didnt have this issue Im sure of that. Im OK most of the time but sometimes I really slip. To me its like having hayfever. Its not there all the time but it can really flare up. I suppose part of it is knowing what causes this and how to treat it when it does.
    Did anyone ever have this problem until a certain time and then work it all out?

Advertisement