Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still no grass?

Options
  • 30-05-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I finally got rid of the trampoline and was left with a bald patch in the garden. Ten days ago, I dug it up and planted some grass seed.
    Ten days later, and there's not ONE piece of grass growing in that patch?
    Have I done something wrong..should I have added something?
    The clay is pretty bad quality (new build) and there are some stones in it - the grass in the whole garden is patchy here and there anyhow.
    Should I re-dig and try again?
    Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

I also planted grass seed and there was any sign of any grass for a long time.
    After about ten to twelve days, I could see some green if I bent down and looked at the lawn sideways from ground level. Then after another few days it was growing nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It has been very dry, did you water it at all?

10 days is not that long, give it a few more days, but its possible that it sprouted and died with the dry weather, or the birds have eaten it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Icandoit!

I did water in on the day I planted it alright - but not after. And you're right, it had been very dry with the good weather.
    I didnt realise grass seed could 'sprout and die'! I'll give it another few days and if I see nothing, will I dig it again and plant more seed?
    And should I add compost as the soil is so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Whether you dig it depends on how firm the soil is. If you can rake it, put some compost or similar on it and rake it well in. If you had the rain we had on Saturday, now would be a good time to put some fresh seed down, but lawns planted in the summer really have to be watered frequently.

Advertisement