Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quitting on monday

Options
  • 30-05-2010 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

im now on human growth hormone which can promote cancer cells to grow
    i figure I better quit smoking

Im going to use replacement therapy to get through it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

day 1

its been hard but ive managed to smoke 8 ... since 2 o clock

TOTAL FAILURE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Did something similar a few weeks ago man, and felt like a complete gob****e after - like such a failure.

But I dusted myself off and am ready to try again. Hope you can do the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Read Alan Carr's 'Only way to stop smoking permanently' You smoke while you read it and it will make you a happy non smoker for the rest of your life. The great thing is with his method you will never have to resist a temptation to smoke again for the rest of your life!! I know it sounds too good to be true but It really is amazing. It has helped me and millions of others to quit.

You failed in the same way I did so many times Don't let this put you off reading it in any way because next time you give up it will be for the rest of your life!

It kills me inside when people who want to quit don't read this book (Actually, now that i think of it, it took a good bit of convincing to get me to read it too). You were feeling horrible on Monday but imagine feeling that for weeks!! I see people punishing themselves all the time and know that they don't need to be. Read the book and you will have a smile from ear to ear as soon as you throw away the final cigarette.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your posts

Note: Willpower NOT required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 calamitysammy

hi Paddy how are you going? am hoping you check in to give us an update.

I have read alan carrs little book of quitting smoking, it was a great read, im using champix atm though, day 10 of no smokes but i really really want one for some reason now

good luck paddy :)

im still smoking away
    to be honest I picked a really bad time to quit(personal reasons)

anyway

A friend of mine went to the doctor and was put on a treatment(dont know if it is new or not)
    its a tablet treatment and you continue to smoke untill day 10-14
    aparently he has to be monitored after a few weeks
    but i cant say how long the treatment itself lasts.

not asking for medical advice or giving it.. just thought id put it out there

also
    Im not sure about reading a book, im fairly skeptical about these methods,
    not a fan of medications either. id prefer to just use my own will power

I know that i can stop if I want
    my problem is... I cant convince myself that I want to stop.. if that makes sense?

stay strong sammy.. its pointless going back on them now

and thanks(everyone) for taking an intrest in my battle

• Advertisement

im still smoking away
    to be honest I picked a really bad time to quit(personal reasons)

anyway

A friend of mine went to the doctor and was put on a treatment(dont know if it is new or not)
    its a tablet treatment and you continue to smoke untill day 10-14
    aparently he has to be monitored after a few weeks
    but i cant say how long the treatment itself lasts.

not asking for medical advice or giving it.. just thought id put it out there

also
    Im not sure about reading a book, im fairly skeptical about these methods,
    not a fan of medications either. id prefer to just use my own will power

I know that i can stop if I want
    my problem is... I cant convince myself that I want to stop.. if that makes sense?

stay strong sammy.. its pointless going back on them now

and thanks(everyone) for taking an intrest in my battle

This saddens me alot. If your not into the book thing you can go to one of the alan carr clinics. They give you your money back if you don't stay off them!

I probably seem very pushy here but i would bet a huge amount of money on it working as I've read the book and know whats in it. If every smoker in the world used the Alan Carr method there would be very few left. I can only wish that you do buy the book and just read it a page or two every night.

Regards,
    Bear.

if the book works so well as you say it does, then why does allan carr need to open a clinic?? just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

I am on day 5 now, feel very good. Using nicorette inhaler and have ordered an Ecig, should get that on Fri or Mon. Hope to get it on Fri - will help with weekend. Still dont understand why it isnt easy with NRT - I mean you are still getting your nicotine !!

Was not a heavy smoker before - usually first cig was after work about 4ish, then had another 2 or 3 in the day. So only smoked 4 or 5 a day, however when out driking smoked alot more :)

Im on my 3rd time reading Alan Corr's book - it is very good, once you complete the book you think you will never go back... however this wears off over time..... its not as easy as everyone says, I think American brains are more susceptible to these types of methods :) however I would definitely recommend it as an aid....

if the book works so well as you say it does, then why does allan carr need to open a clinic?? just curious

Well I'd imagine the clinic is better. The book is what they tell you in the clinic. I think he wrote it 10 years after opening the clinic to reach more people. Anyway, most people apart from the extremely closed minded will agree that it is really good. Remember most people posting in here are smokers so the chances are you will mostly hear failure stories.

I read it and it and so did a good few of my friends and people I know. We all stubbed out our final cigarette and never craved another one since. That is a fact. It worked on us and there's no reason why it couldn't work on anyone. So I reckon it's a fairly good investment of €10.

Risk = You are the exact way you are now minus €10
    Possible reward = stopping smoking and feeling like you would if you had never started

I think saying "never craving another one" is a bit far fetched, after reading book.

Everything in book makes sense and you understand alot more about smoking, but saying you never crave another one - I dont think so.....

It is definitely useful, gonna try re-reading it a few times while Im quitting...

fingers crossed....

• Advertisement

I think saying "never craving another one" is a bit far fetched, after reading book.

Everything in book makes sense and you understand alot more about smoking, but saying you never crave another one - I dont think so.....

It is definitely useful, gonna try re-reading it a few times while Im quitting...

fingers crossed....

Well I'm not lying.

neither am I :)

neither am I :)

Right well best-o-luck anyway.

Thanks, hope I can do it this time.... just need reinforcement at the time of worst cravings - so threads like this one, info from book, my own determination :)

thanks for your reply re clinics, i went and found his book today and yes i can now see why he runs them ..will check in and see how you are all doing..cheers

oh have just finished the first chapter, looking good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It's like AA - you don't start with the idea of giving them up for life, cos that's too big a task, too much pressure. It's one day at a time, and if that's too much (as it will be) it's one urge at a time. Each urge you give in to strengthens the addiction, so that's your motivation. How long does each urge last? Not that long, if you don't get tense about it. When you get an urge, relax........it'll pass. Just like it does when you're in the cinema. It'll pass till the next one, which you'll deal with when it comes.

That's my will-power! That's my motivation! It only has to last as long as the urge to smoke.

PS reading how people in concentration camps swapped food for cigarettes made me realise what a STUPID addiction it is.

(Day 37 - €255 richer - this was the book that I used....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

6 weeks exactly! E305 richer. It's just amazing how the money tots up. But tbh the only time I think of it is when I'm having an urge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭sqlpod

Allen Carr's Easy Way, is an excellent read but unfortunately it did not work I understood it but just did not get the mental fix from it, mbut the a friend told me to try the audio version and put it on the ipod, I found it online put it on the ipod went to work and 'BINGO' within 10 mins i was hooked everything i read in the book plus more started to make sense and yes it does make you wonder why you ever started.
    Just set an evening aside relax, play the audio and enjoy life again, not addicted to the WEED...

sqlpod wrote: »
    Allen Carr's Easy Way, is an excellent read but unfortunately it did not work I understood it but just did not get the mental fix from it, mbut the a friend told me to try the audio version and put it on the ipod, I found it online put it on the ipod went to work and 'BINGO' within 10 mins i was hooked everything i read in the book plus more started to make sense and yes it does make you wonder why you ever started.
    Just set an evening aside relax, play the audio and enjoy life again, not addicted to the WEED...

I never knew there was an audio. sounds perfect. I have to metion though that if buying alan carrs stuff make sure it's "ONLY WAY to stop smoking perminantly" Easy way was written within the first year of him quitting himself. he was only a newbie to the quitting game. Onlyway is the same book with 10 extra years of knowledge and feedback.

I do think that everyone should at least read or listen to his audio book when trying to quit. No method of giving up will get 100% success rate but his is way ahead of the others and if successful allows you to not have to deprive yourself or resist the urge.

I AM TRIUMPHANT

I realise i started this thread in May and i was a little embaressed after my announcement and failure..

but
    at the end of july I gave them up... a friend gave me some pathches
    i used 1 and threw the rest away because i felt it didn't make sense to give myself nicotine in a different form... thats just keeping the addiction alive in my opinion.

anyway since july (around the 20th) i have attempted to smoke 1 cig.
    i stole a smoke off my brother and went home like a little junkie hiding around the back garden with a lighter... i took a few drags and realised i was being a complete fool so i threw the thing away and i havn't gone near them since.

the new battle is staying off them.. i've had really vivid dreams where im smoking.. and i can taste them and feel the effects
    ive woken up guilty with cravings

sometimes I get frustrated and the voice in my head makes the very valid "why not" argument.

but as bad as these things are.. they might only last a few minutes..
    it all passes
    the dreams have gone.. i still get serious cravings but they are related to habbit.. and they will go 2.
    sometimes I verbalise my need to smoke but deep down i know i'll never do it.

its funny .. now that im typing this i've realised i havn't even thought about a cigarette for the past few days.. but man would I LOVE ONE NOW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement