Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double-check

Options
  • 29-05-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm helping to write an Irish essay for a friend, just want to make sure the following sentence makes sense, as I'm a little rusty:

Tá sé an-soléir a d'fhéadfadh an creideamh ról laidir a imirt in iarracht an fadhb sin a réiteach.

Suposed to mean:

It's very clear that religion could have a strong role to play in the effort to solve this problem.

I think the attempt I've made at it is a little clumsy, could anyone suggest a more elegant alternative?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Tá sé an-soléir go bhféadfadh an creideamh ról laidir a imirt in iarrachtaí an fhadhb sin a réiteach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Conas a deireann tú "Turn the other cheek" as gaeilge?

Go soléir is feidir leat "cas an leiceann eile" a rá, ach an bhfuil aon nathanna cainte níos fearr le fáil?

Also, I'm trying to translate the following line:

There's no doubt whatsoever but that the levels of violent crime and drug use would decrease if young people believed the teachings of religion:

"Níl ámhras ar bith ach go mbeadh laghdú ar an leibhéal na gcoireanna foréigneacha agus na n-úsáid drugaí más rud é gur chreid daoine óga teagasca an reiligiúin"

Seems right-ish. I'm concerned about the genitive case for "levels of drug use", I think what I have here is incorrect. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

... iarrachtaí an fhadhb
    "iarrachtaí na faidhbe": tá sé baininscneach.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    There's no doubt whatsoever but that the levels of violent crime and drug use would decrease if young people believed the teachings of religion:

"Níl ámhras ar bith ach go mbeadh laghdú ar an leibhéal na gcoireanna foréigneacha agus na n-úsáid drugaí más rud é gur chreid daoine óga teagasca an reiligiúin"
    Deirfinn rud mar sin:

"Níl amhras ar bith ann ach go mbeadh laghdú ar leibhéil choireanna foréigneacha agus úsáid drugaí dá mba rud é gur chreid daoine óga teagasca an chreidimh."

Multiple genetives are always tricky. Also, you need "dá mba rud é" insted of "más rud é" 'cause you're useing the Conditional mood/Past tense.

gaeilgeboy wrote: »

just on this, I'm not sure we need the TG of fadhb here. There's no posession implied by "efforts to solve the problem", is what you have there not "efforts of the problem"?

Deirfinn rud mar sin:

"Níl amhras ar bith ann ach go mbeadh laghdú ar leibhéil choireanna foréigneacha agus úsáid drugaí dá mba rud é gur chreid daoine óga teagasca an chreidimh."

Multiple genetives are always tricky. Also, you need "dá mba rud é" insted of "más rud é" 'cause you're useing the Conditional mood/Past tense.

thanks a lot for this, extremely helpful :)

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    just on this, I'm not sure we need the TG of fadhb here. There's no posession implied by "efforts to solve the problem", is what you have there not "efforts of the problem"?

Tá an ceart iomlán a't! Sorry, didn't read the sentence correctly, just saw two nouns togather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Níor chuir mé "an fhadhb" sa ghinideach mar is cás é d'fhoirm an ainmnigh in ionad an ghinidigh, .i. baineann "na hiarrachtaí" leis an "réiteach", ní "an fhadhb".
    Deirfinn rud mar sin:

Déarfainn féin:

Níl amhras ar bith ann ach go mbeadh laghdú ar leibhéil choireanna fhoréigneacha agus ar úsáid drugaí dá gcreidfeadh daoine óga teagasc an chreidimh.

Níl amhras ar bith ann ach go mbeadh laghdú ar leibhéil choireanna fhoréigneacha agus ar úsáid drugaí dá gcreidfeadh daoine óga teagasc an chreidimh.

Is fearr liom an t-aistriúchán s'agatsa!

Advertisement