Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using long-term experience to gain Bachelor degree

Options
  • 29-05-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Could someone please help me?

I obtained a Certificate in Communications (Design) way back in 1988. At the time, there were only 2 colleges/universities in Ireland that offered further education in this arena. In addition, work experience was considered more important than a university degree in graphic design/publishing at that time and therefore most people established immediate work relations. I now find, after 22 years of professional graphic design positions that I may need to present a university bachelor degree for a particular job application. It is also time that I sorted this issue out.

Is there a system used in Ireland so that I can obtain a degree based on my years of experience or at least attend a 'home' study course to obtain a recognised degree?

regards,
    AnnieJo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there any possibility you are looking at teaching, because that qualification is accepted as a pass degree.

I also tried to upgrade my diploma but I could not find a part-time/distance etc course in Ireland. I found one in the UK but you have to do the course first and then ask will the department accept it!

Sorry this is no use to you if it is not teaching you are looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AnnieJo

Thanks, but no, it's not teaching. It's an organization that insists on candidates having minimum of a degree for professional positions.

thanks for you help anyway,
    I'll keep searching,

AnnieJo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

This won't apply for Sept 2010 but you could apply to a college for 2011 directly into 3rd year, it would be a lot of work but it is best to talk to each college.

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/advancedentry/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

AnnieJo wrote: »
    Thanks, but no, it's not teaching. It's an organization that insists on candidates having minimum of a degree for professional positions.

You know it might just be worth applying anyway, without the degree. You never know, your experience may be that you are a better candidate than some of the applications they will get from inexperienced graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

looksee wrote: »
    I also tried to upgrade my diploma but I could not find a part-time/distance etc course in Ireland.

IADT Dun Laoghaire have a part time art degree - if you've a good deal of art/design/architecture experience you can apply to go straight into third year.

Rumour has it that the course is being axed, but there's no harm in dropping them an email. Course details are here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement