Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something cutting pea plants?

Options
  • 29-05-2010 11:19am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    my dad is an experienced gardener but he us being baffled at the moment. Something is snipping the stales of his growing pea plants. Every morning he checks to find the stalks cut with no evidence of what is causing it.

Any fellow boardies know what could be causing this? Insect?Bird?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'd suspect pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

put some black plastic sheeting about the size of a floor tile near the plants,dark in colour

check the plants at night with a torch and see if there is any bugs on the plant

in the morning lift the plastic,or tile and see what crawled under it overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

+1 for pigeons.

Annoying thing is the don't seem to eat them . I have to cover my beans/peas with netting till they get to good size ( bit like the public trees vs vandals ) since they only attack the immature plants.

If it were slugs/snails there would be no evidence left.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like cutworm to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Cutworm or leatherjackets are a real problem, I would not know about pigeons out here.

Try Supernemos - http://www.nemo.ie
    I find it easier to use that nemasys, and it covers a wider range of pests

All the other info I have on pests is on the blog

http://connemaracroft.blogspot.com/2010/05/organic-pest-control-passive-and-active.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement