Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement & ring in NY - tiffanys etc?

Options
  • 29-05-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello

Myself and my girlfriend are going to NY in August and i want to pop the question. First off would anyone have any suggestions on where to do it? I think we'd prefer something private enough. Was thinking of dinner in river view cafe and maybe a walk in central park and do it there somewhere, or near brooklyn bridge?

I was also thinking about maybe proposing on a hotel terrace overlooking central park, candlelit dinner etc but not sure about any hotels with that view, or private terraces. I know four seasons does but about €900 per night!

Anyway i can look into that - my real question is about buying the ring in tiffanys. I know this isn't necessarily best value for money compared to salvatores and hanniken however I think, if possible, i would like to get the ring there - depending on prices and spec of the ring.

My budget is about €5-7k, but the rate has collapsed at about 1.2 so that's about us$6-8k including sales taxes. €7k would be my max and would only go that high for tiffanys.

Information on their website and internet overall isn't great on prices - what do you think i could get in tiffanys for us$6-8k? I was thinking roughly of the following spec:

1 to 0.5 carats
    VVSI1 to VS2 clarity
    D to F colour
    platinum band

and I'm assuming the cut would be very nice, it being tiffany.

So any thoughts and what i could get there for my budget? I think quality is important however i don't want a tiny rock on my girlfriends hands - most girls seem to want 1c but can you tell the difference in size between say 1c and 0.75c?

Also we'd only have a few days in NY (combining it as part of larger trip) so say i proposed on a Thursday night and left all day Friday to ring shopping and our flight was due home Saturday lunchtime.

Could we buy the ring in tiffany Thursday morning perhaps and would they size it there and then, or Friday morning? My girlfriends fingers are average size i guess and I'd like to leave tiffany with the correct size but not sure if they can re-size them there and then in 24hours?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to leave the tiffany idea if it means i can't get a decent ring for my budget, however it is something I'd like. But if not i can drop to €5k and just go to salvator/haniken.

Again thank you so much for any advice you'd have.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't buy in Tiffany's, you are paying for the box :) Just walk through the diamond district, you'll see something somewhere don't worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 polliepp

Hi OP,

Congrats on your engagement and romantic proposal!

Us girls do love Tiffany but as another poster suggested you are paying for the name to a certain extent! However there is something very special and romantic about Tiffanys- it's more that just the pretty box. It's the whole dream or something. Plus the whole experience of going to Tiffanys - staff are great etc and their rings are stunning. Probably becoming a little more common nowadays though with BTs stocking their range. So the romantic gloss has worn off a bit.

I guess it would depend on your girlfriend - would you consider her a Tiffany's girl? Do you think she would prefer that you spend your money maybe more practically and get better value?

I do know someone who has bought several diamonds in NYC - apparently better value etc. I am seeing them late next week so will remember to ask for some details. If I get anything will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

Can't rate Hannikens highly enough - we went in Jan and got an amazing diamond ring made up (chose the diamond first, then the setting) that was valued here at 3 times the price. Tell them you have been to Salvatores and are thinking of getting a diamond there and they will do you an even better deal...also ask for the Aer Lingus discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think I read online somewhere that Tiffany don't resize on the spot - it could take a few days. I'm not sure if it's the same for rings, but whenever I buy a charm for my Tiffany charm bracelet, it has to go to their workshop for them to put the charm on and it takes 4/5 days to get back.

Tiffany is a wonderful choice though, your gf will be so happy, enjoy your trip! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hello there. Tinkerbell is right, it could be a few days for the re-sizing. The best way to avoid complications is call them now and closer to your D-day to ask about availability and pricing. Given the premium paid for Tiff's (usually one third more than for comparable pieces) it makes sense to drop your requirements for clarity to either VS2 or SI1 (their SI1s are sure to be eye-clean).

I'm not sure where you'd end up carat-wise for 8K there, but if I colour and SI1 clarity were selected I'm sure you could approach close to the carat mark (maybe 0.8 to 0.9 ct) -- though there's only one way to know for sure ;) Their HQ's number in New York is: 001 212 755-8000. HTH :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nools79

My fiance bought my engagement ring in Tiffany's - we went up on a Sunday morning about 12 (nearly as soon as they opened), spent a good while picking the ring (I didnt know what style I wanted) and collected the resized ring at 5pm same day. We really enjoyed our experience there and I would recommend it.

They only do platinum (no white gold) or yellow gold. The bands are "knife edge" ie high off the finger and hard to match a wedding band to in ireland. Their Tiffany band (the band that matches their solitaire rings) is only half the width of the band of their engagement ring, so it looks like we might end up getting my wedding band made to match it - found a dude in the powerscourt centre who'll be able to do it for us.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^^ Oh seriously?! They resized it the same day?! That's great news! I had thought that they didn't so people going over would have difficulty getting it resized in time unless they were there for a week or so.

What about insurance then for over here, are there problems insuring it if you bought it in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Zenif if you live in Dublin you can head into Tiffany in Brown Thomas and have a look at the rings there and then contact the NY store in advance to get info about the prices over there for any that you are interested in.

I got my engagement ring and wedding band in Tiffany in Las Vegas when I got engaged and married there (two separate occasions). I love my Tiffany ring and we did get it in 2007 when the rate was pretty good, but I think if I had been in NY I probably would have ended up going to one of the other diamond district stores, as as far as I can gather I would have got just as good quality diamond but bigger! I know size isn't everything etc etc but from what I have seen from friends who have got fab diamonds in NY you really are paying a big premium for the blue box (which stays at home in a drawer!).

Educate yourself on the 4c's etc so that you know what you are talking about when you go in. Have a look around jewellers where you live also to get an idea of sizes, cuts, colour etc that you are interested in. Also check out www.pricescope.com it's a US website with advice on buying diamonds and you should be able to get some info on where the best places to go in NY are.

Nools79 I have the Tiffany Setting engagement ring and I got the 2mm half channel band for my wedding band. I think it goes really well with it. You should check out Bluenile.co.uk for band options that would go with it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ej1984

Hi jollygood, just wondering what other jewellers did you visit in New York. Have heard great things about Hannikens but am wondering is there anywhere else worth a look? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

We went to DeBeers, Tiffany's, loads more high end places plus tons and tons of places in the Diamond District including Salvatores. At the end of the day, Hanikens had the best choice and the best prices. It's 15 months on and I am still utterly obsessed with it and can't believe how lucky I am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Zenif444 wrote: »
    Anyway i can look into that - my real question is about buying the ring in tiffanys. I know this isn't necessarily best value for money compared to salvatores and hanniken however I think, if possible, i would like to get the ring there -

i don't want a tiny rock on my girlfriends hands - .

Firstly good luck with the proposal. I do have to comment on these parts of your post though. You seem fixated with Tiffany's.

The obvious point is your girlfriend may not want a Tiffany's ring, you need to approach this with an open mind just becasue you like the idea of a Tiffany's ring doesnt mean she will.

Secondly the ring is about a commitment to one another the size of the rock has no bearing on it, besides which you will get much more diamond for your money elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The guy posted this last May and said he was going to NY that August. I reckon it's done now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Zenif444

Hello!

Engagement went perfectly, bought an amazing ring in Hanikens and can 100% recommend they were absolutely amazing.

thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Netty101

Another happy Hanikens customer here. Found them so helpful we ordered it on line over email and phone and although a little scary it all went so well. We where going to Vegas so they sent it over to the hotel which worked out well as we did not have to pay state tax in NY. We stuck to the same budget as we would have spent if we bought it in Ireland but got a much better quality ring 4cs where vastly improved!!! We are planning a trip over to get the wedding bands. Also word of warning if you are getting one made waiting time can be 6-7weeks so order in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 F09torres

Hi,

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in but this was the most recent with hanikens of NYC mentioned. I am popping the question in 6 weeks time in NYC.

I have 2 questions I need advice on.

1. I was told to carry cash when going there, gives me a better bargaining position. Any advice?

2. More importantly, my budget will be $4000 max, will this be enough to get a nice engagement ring for my girlfriend?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Netty101

Hi,

Not sure on the cash as we did it all online.

$4k is plenty you will get a lovely ring!!

Exciting start to 2014!! Good luck!

Thanks netty.

I just want her to have a decent selection of rings within the budget. Nothing worse than seeing lots of nice 1's and not being able to afford them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JMour1

Hi All,

I'm proposing to my GF in London in May before bringing her to NY the following day to purchase her engagement ring...

I have contacted Hanikens, Salvatores & Tiffany's to arrange meetings when we are in NY - I'm also in the process of swotting up on 4 C's & deciding whats important to us..

Couple of questions, have I missed anywhere that we should definately visit? Also, my budget is going to be a maximum €10k for her ring, once I advise BOI that I will be in NY making a large purchase im assuming this will be fine. Hanikens etc will be fine with CC payment?

Finally, anymore advice anyone has it's very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Hi jmour,

I was advised to pay in cash, allows you room to haggle. Obviously carrying a large sum of cash is the snag but I'm staying in a hotel nearby so will be carrying my cash on me.
    Good luck with it.
    I've decided on hanikens personally. Know a few people that came home happy from there.
    I know 1 person kindly replied and said 4k would be plenty to get a nice ring, I just hope this proves the case in February

Hi Torres,

Thanks for your response.. Good luck in FEB & since i dont go until MAY you might pop me a mail & let me know how it goes...

Cheers! :)

• Advertisement

Ya I will and incase I forget just get back on to me.
    Anybody else with advice/tips feel free to leave them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Hi,

I actually had a similar experience. Myself and my gf bought her engagement ring in Hanikens in December 2012.

Hanikens were really great to deal with. I had a budget of maybe $5,000. I booked an appointment before we went (by email). When we went in we were made very comfortable and at ease.

My gf gave the girl working there an idea of what she wanted. At no point did we mention our budget. As we went through the different styles and diamonds, everything was explained to us. From our reactions, we were presented with a range of diamonds and sizes that we could choose from.

I mentioned that we would pay in cash if we were to get a good deal. In the end we paid $4,200 and my gf was delighted with what we got. The service was top quality, so good that we went back this year for our wedding rings (again, we felt we got a good deal).

Hope this helps.

A cheers sport fanatic,

That is great advice in fairness. Fingers crossed we have as much joy out there as ye did.
    It's great to hear that they're really helpful, itl put us at ease.

That's great Sportfanatic, cheers..

So we took a browse in Dublin yesterday, we've narrowed it down to a single, brilliant cut diamond, set on a platinum ring - a timeless classic it was descirbed to me yesterday!!

Anyway, obviously the nicest we saw was in Tiffany's, 1.30 carat @ €16k.

We went into another jewellers who informed me that their rings werent certified but that they would be happy to give us their certification.... fair to say I ran fast out of the shop! Is this normal in Dublin?

Also, in relation to the ring in Tiffany's, any idea what prices i'm likely to get same / similiar ring in NYC, Tiffanys or Hanikens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

JMour1 wrote: »
    That's great Sportfanatic, cheers..

So we took a browse in Dublin yesterday, we've narrowed it down to a single, brilliant cut diamond, set on a platinum ring - a timeless classic it was descirbed to me yesterday!!

Anyway, obviously the nicest we saw was in Tiffany's, 1.30 carat @ €16k.

We went into another jewellers who informed me that their rings werent certified but that they would be happy to give us their certification.... fair to say I ran fast out of the shop! Is this normal in Dublin?

Also, in relation to the ring in Tiffany's, any idea what prices i'm likely to get same / similiar ring in NYC, Tiffanys or Hanikens?
    As a matter of interest JMour1, do you know why the tiffanys ring was the nicest you saw? As in was out just that they were higher rated on the 4c's scales or did the band just look nicer?

The reason I ask is that if it was just a higher rated diamond than what you normally see in the Dublin shops you (and I) would hopefully be able to track down a cheaper version of the same thing somewhere else!

cooperguy wrote: »
    As a matter of interest JMour1, do you know why the tiffanys ring was the nicest you saw? As in was out just that they were higher rated on the 4c's scales or did the band just look nicer?

The reason I ask is that if it was just a higher rated diamond than what you normally see in the Dublin shops you (and I) would hopefully be able to track down a cheaper version of the same thing somewhere else!

So in terms of the diamond it was a higher grade than what we saw in the other shops. It sparkled & looked amazing in comparison.

Thankfully the GF said, "it's gorgeous, but your only paying for the box!" ;)

I would be hoping that I could find a diamond of that quality but cheaper than 16k either here or in NYC..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

JMour1 wrote: »
    So in terms of the diamond it was a higher grade than what we saw in the other shops. It sparkled & looked amazing in comparison.

Thankfully the GF said, "it's gorgeous, but your only paying for the box!" ;)

I would be hoping that I could find a diamond of that quality but cheaper than 16k either here or in NYC..
    That's good to know that you just need to get the right grade either online or abroad and you get the same Tiffany's sparkle without the Tiffany's price tag!

Has anyone any experience of Salvatore & Co?

They have just come back to me with - "Excellent cut / 1.30ct / colorless / VS1" Platinum ring...

Seems good value, within my budget too (& a little left in the pocket!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kingaling

I got some prices from Tiffany NYC a few months ago! They don't include 8.8% tax.
    Classic Tiffany Setting

.83 G VS1 $9,650.00

.84 H VS1 $9,400.00

.90 I VVS1 $10,800.00

.92 I VS1 $10,700.00

Novo

.73 H VS1 $9,050.00

.81 H VS1 $10,000.00

Grace

.75 H VVS2 $8,950.00

.78 H VS1 $9,150.00

I have decided to go with hannikens next month. I was told if I pay cash or with cashiers cheque I can avoid some t@x.
    Does anybody know what cashiers cheque or bank draft will work in New York?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just a brief update since I 1st posted in JAN - more so for any guys who are going through the same process.

After many months of communicating with a number of businesses both here, in the UK, Antwerp & NYC, I have finally bought my soon to be fiance's ring... I collected it today! :)

In the end I chose Voltaire in Dublin. I found them excellent, great customer service, quality and ultimately value for money. A lot of little personal touches and I am genuinely very happy with the process.

Now all I need is a YES!! :)

Advertisement