Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expiration of Motor Tax

Options
  • 28-05-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

I've a "friendly" bet with my brother about his motor tax and I'm hoping you fine lads and lasses in Motors can help me win :)

His motor tax expires at the end of May and I've told him that as long as he sorts it before the end of June, then he won't be pulled over or fined or the like (money is a bit tight for him at the moment). It says as much on the renewal notice. He's worried that I'm wrong and it needs to be done asap. I'm usually the stickler for the law, so I'm thinking he's already had a run in with the Gardaí he's not telling anyone about and doesn't want to take any chances :D.

Anyways, simply put: am I right or is he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

He's right but the Guards will usually give some leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

macroman wrote: »
    He's right but the Guards will usually give some leeway.
    The Guards usually will, but parking wardens won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'm pretty sure and certain its 10 days grace. For the most part the Guards will let you off for the first month after it has expired I think and think this is where the confusion arises. He could also meet one of these robocop type cops who would do his mother for a dodgy tail lamp and be fined within the one month period but he would be unlucky. For the most part they would tell you to go way and get it sorted.

No doubt those up on their high horse among us will come on telling you he should not drive with an expired disc full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I don't see why people wait.. it doesn't get cheaper!

They knocked this "skipping" on the head in the UK years ago... it is easy. Issue the renewal, 14 days after the tax expires send the fine if tax is not renewed or vehicle not delcared off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

the 'confusion' arises because the Gardai can seize your car on the spot if your tax is more than two months out of date.

It is a legal requirement to have tax displayed. If it is one day out of date you can be fined, unlikely to happen but thats the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I've a "friendly" bet with my brother about his motor tax and I'm hoping you fine lads and lasses in Motors can help me win :)

His motor tax expires at the end of May and I've told him that as long as he sorts it before the end of June, then he won't be pulled over or fined or the like (money is a bit tight for him at the moment). It says as much on the renewal notice. He's worried that I'm wrong and it needs to be done asap. I'm usually the stickler for the law, so I'm thinking he's already had a run in with the Gardaí he's not telling anyone about and doesn't want to take any chances :D.

Anyways, simply put: am I right or is he?
    I'm pretty sure and certain its 10 days grace. For the most part the Guards will let you off for the first month after it has expired I think and think this is where the confusion arises. He could also meet one of these robocop type cops who would do his mother for a dodgy tail lamp and be fined within the one month period but he would be unlucky. For the most part they would tell you to go way and get it sorted.

This is a common and popular misconception. Legally there is zero grace so once the tax expires you're un-taxed. The 1 month grace mentioned on the renewal form refers exclusively to paying arrears. If you pay the tax within the month following expiry you won't be charged arrears, otherwise you will be charged arrears + 10% for each month late (assuming you don't declare the car off the road :))

Most Gardaí will let you on with a gentle reminder if you're within the 1st month but they don't have to. Wardens *allegedly* don't have such compassion.
    No doubt those up on their high horse among us will come on telling you he should not drive with an expired disc full stop.
    This sort of high-horse comments are getting a bit tedious at this stage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Wardens *allegedly* don't have such compassion.

I never came across a warden in Ireland, bar the private Co Co clampers in their vans and I doubt they fine for expired tax?

Who/What are they? Garda in uniform or else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no grace period. You can be prosecuted if caught at 1 second past midnight on the 1st.

CaraFawn wrote: »
    I never came across a warden in Ireland, bar the private Co Co clampers in their vans and I doubt they fine for expired tax?

Who/What are they? Garda in uniform or else?
    Local council wardens. They wear similar uniforms to the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Haddockman wrote: »
    There is no grace period. You can be prosecuted if caught at 1 second past midnight on the 1st.

Can a Guard think that fast? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Is this new?
    What kind of rights do they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

apparently there is a grace period.that aside,there isnt a judge in the land who would tolerate a guard bringing someone to court over the above.
    i dont think the superintendent would tolerate it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Is this new?
    those powers wer bestowed on the wardens a couple of years ago.
    if they see you got no tax then they will book ya dano!

Is this new?
    They can prosecute you for illegal parking and not displaying road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i have been stopped with my tax 3 days out,it was done online so i was waiting for the disk to be posted,the garda just said get it sorted,

if it is nearly a month im sure you could get fined for driving without tax,is a "grace" period completly unofficial??

Yes, it is unofficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can people stop posting the high horse pictures please, it's really stupid at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

si_guru wrote: »
    I don't see why people wait.. it doesn't get cheaper!

They knocked this "skipping" on the head in the UK years ago... it is easy. Issue the renewal, 14 days after the tax expires send the fine if tax is not renewed or vehicle not delcared off the road.
    The OP made no mention of 'skipping', as you call it.

Not your ornery onager

Around these parts they wear brown uninforms and carry electronic data recorders. They're full-time so they patrol daily 9-5 Mon-Fri.
    [Edit]brown uniform was many moons ago, current uniform blue similar to Garda/security with Traffic Warden on cap.[/Edit]

apparently there is a grace period.
    Your solitor will have a hard time finding something in the law books that is not there. The law grants no grace period, "expired" means "expired" not "nearly expired" or "expired but not really yet". In practice, discretion is used but that should not be considered an entitlement.
    that aside,there isnt a judge in the land who would tolerate a guard bringing someone to court over the above.
    i dont think the superintendent would tolerate it either.
    True, if that's the only thing you're being done for but I'm fairly sure if you have other charges against you it'll be added. People tend to think that the application of common sense means it's perfectly safe to sort out their tax later.

bladebrew wrote: »
    i have been stopped with my tax 3 days out,it was done online so i was waiting for the disk to be posted,the garda just said get it sorted,

if it is nearly a month im sure you could get fined for driving without tax,is a "grace" period completly unofficial??

Ordered mine in the early hours of last Monday morning and it was in my letter box the very next day, how's that for response from them and Án Post.

Here's something I've often wondered about...
    I always wait until the 1st of the month before swapping out my old tax disc with the new one. However I've noticed the new tax disc has the date of issue on it so, does that mean it is valid from last Monday and I can immediately swap out my old one (not yet expired) with the new one?

• Advertisement

You can change it over immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Here's something I've often wondered about...
    I always wait until the 1st of the month before swapping out my old tax disc with the new one. However I've noticed the new tax disc has the date of issue on it so, does that mean it is valid from last Monday and I can immediately swap out my old one (not yet expired) with the new one?
    I've wondered about that myself. My guess is technically no, as the new disc is only valid for a year. That said, I put up my new one myself, but with the old one still behind it just in case. If I do get done for non-display of a current tax disc i'll let you all know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Thanks for the replies everyone. My brother wins so :mad::mad:. I hope you're all happy with yourselves :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've wondered about that myself. My guess is technically no, as the new disc is only valid for a year. That said, I put up my new one myself, but with the old one still behind it just in case. If I do get done for non-display of a current tax disc i'll let you all know.:)

Jaysus, surely nobody in their right mind would do you on being the good citizen of renewing your tax as soon as you get the notification to do so and recycling your old (shredding first :P). I'd view current myself as not expired, sure you couldn't get a future disc without having current tax anyway I thought?

One thing that's annoying is the fact you can only get 3 6 or 12 months tax, I like to get 12 to mean I don't have to keep going back to the tax office with their short opening times. I was trying to get my taxes to expire at the same time so I'd just have to make the one trip out but nope, not possible unless I let one expire, pay the arrears and then renew it to the same date as another :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

When parking without tax, simply put a cover over the discs, the warden is not allowed to remove or touch your car, other than to place ticket on windscreen.

It's an offence not to display a valid tax disc though, if there's something covering it, it's not on display :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Grace my eye, people in Ireland seem to think there's a grace period with everything, VRT included. "Ach sure its grand they'd hardly..."; famous last words.

cormie wrote: »
    Jaysus, surely nobody in their right mind would do you on being the good citizen of renewing your tax as soon as you get the notification to do so and recycling your old (shredding first :P). I'd view current myself as not expired, sure you couldn't get a future disc without having current tax anyway I thought?
    You cannot get a disc before the end of the month unless it is already taxed.
    cormie wrote: »
    One thing that's annoying is the fact you can only get 3 6 or 12 months tax, I like to get 12 to mean I don't have to keep going back to the tax office with their short opening times. I was trying to get my taxes to expire at the same time so I'd just have to make the one trip out but nope, not possible unless I let one expire, pay the arrears and then renew it to the same date as another :o
    Renew online. No need to ever darken the doors of a tax office again.

You cannot get a disc before the end of the month unless it is already taxed.
    That's what I meant, I just didn't word it the best, if we're talking about the same thing that is :)

Renew online. No need to ever darken the doors of a tax office again.
    That's fine for privately taxed vehicles, you have to present a valid DOE cert at the tax office to tax a commercial though :(
    Replies in bold :)

• Advertisement

Fair enuff Cormie. That is a bugger alright.

Advertisement